Plasterboarding for first time

Members online

MattyKHZ

Hi all,

After some advice so have joined this forum.

Wanting to pull down wall and ceiling plaster board to expose stud walls and joists in a 2008 build house.

Plan is to use Rockwool RW3 slabs between joists and in stud wall, 100mm thick in ceiling and 50mm in walls.

Looking at Plasterboard density I was going to use Soundbloc F but like the sound of Siniat Megadeco seeing as it does not need plastering.

So am I correct that I can fix this vertically or horizontally, then just use the deco cement compound for jointing?

For corners and joints I have been recommended to use their tape and for external corners the GTEC flex tape. I presume fleet tape is instead of a metal bead? Not sure if using Gyproc Perfect Finish tape would be better on joints and then there is the Habito corner tape which I guess could be used on external corners?

Fitting in wall and Atmos ceiling speakers hence the project. That and the fact that a en-suite bathroom is directly above the lounge so soundproofing to avoid noise both ways is a must....

ADFAA21A-F832-437D-A701-0C530B45ECAA.gif

Hi all,

Wanting to pull down wall and ceiling plaster board to expose stud walls and joists in a 2008 build house.

Plan is to use Rockwool RW3 slabs between joists and in stud wall, 100mm thick in ceiling and 50mm in walls.

Looking at Plasterboard density I was going to use Soundbloc F but like the sound of Siniat Megadeco seeing as it does not need plastering.

So am I correct that I can fix this vertically or horizontally, then just use the deco cement compound for jointing?

For corners and joints I have been recommended to use their tape and for external corners the GTEC flex tape. I presume fleet tape is instead of a metal bead? Not sure if using Gyproc Perfect Finish tape would be better on joints and then there is the Habito corner tape which I guess could be used on external corners?

Fitting in wall and Atmos ceiling speakers hence the project. That and the fact that a en-suite bathroom is directly above the lounge so soundproofing to avoid noise both ways is a must....
I take it your doing a home theater room.

Hi all,

Seems reasonable but if bathroom directly above I don’t care what you do with it! She will still hear you if she’s laid in the bath! Women don’t miss a trick :ROFLMAO:

I suggest you form a box behind the ceiling speaker if you’re concerned an out sound transfer. The ceiling board could be 100mm soundbloc but if there’s a hole in it for a speaker, kind of defeats the object.

Thanks all.

Speakers are all sealed backs. Rear wall at approx 70mm studs may be a fraction too slim with 1 layer of 15mm plasterboard for speaker depth of 99mm so may have to use 2 or something like reductoclip system similar to genieclip. Not sure which would offer the best benefit.

Was hoping someone like TonyM who I saw used Megadeco on a drywall forum could advise of the jointing and taping, any issues with Megadeco etc.

I am in Tamworth. Happy to consider getting someone in to do it if there is anyone local.

And atthe moment noise from above is worse than noise from below. It’s just embarrassing when you can hear every trickle coming from upstairs.....

I was hoping something like Megadeco would be an ideal item for a first time user as no need for plastering. I know this is a plastering forum but hoped drywalling is also a topic as not happy with some of the plastering our house came with, some only evident in fitting blinds later on where the light hits that and spreads to the wall. Some kind of circular ridges are visible.

Hoping for clean angles. Some plastering we had done we’re not that sharp and also had issues with it coming off when painting due to the amount of PVA used or type of.

I take it your doing a home theater room.

Yes going 5.1.4 as room is only 3.6m wide and 4.6m long. Impact noise and movement from floorboards is apparent so hoping to cross brace joists, 100mm rockwool, acoustic plasterboard, hoodies over each speaker which are closed back but believe needed for some acoustic help and also fire rating of ceiling.

Walls will use 50mm rockwool and acoustic plasterboard.

Once done can then get about having our false chimney breast replaced which houses fire, tv and front speakers. Finally managed to fit a 50 inch 3D led replacing the 42 inch plasma but in doing so cannot bide new cables as different to the old ones and cannot change speaker or go up to a 55 inch OLED so need to try and futureproof.

Attachments

• 6F099DED-2D31-4CCC-B163-B3299F54DE51.jpeg
    6F099DED-2D31-4CCC-B163-B3299F54DE51.jpeg
    679.7 KB · Views: 178
Thanks all.

Speakers are all sealed backs. Rear wall at approx 70mm studs may be a fraction too slim with 1 layer of 15mm plasterboard for speaker depth of 99mm so may have to use 2 or something like reductoclip system similar to genieclip. Not sure which would offer the best benefit.

Was hoping someone like TonyM who I saw used Megadeco on a drywall forum could advise of the jointing and taping, any issues with Megadeco etc.

I am in Tamworth. Happy to consider getting someone in to do it if there is anyone local.

And atthe moment noise from above is worse than noise from below. It’s just embarrassing when you can hear every trickle coming from upstairs.....
The jointing system is the same as normal, but using their own finish. Fibafuse tape is foolproof. Get a roll of that from Belmore supplies. Flex tape is utter s**t. Use thin coat beads or tape on beads. Suggest a minimum 180 grit paper for sanding too.

You could just use the finish jointing compound. Bed the tape with it, fill out the taper, then give two more coats, going wider each time. Thin coat beads will need to be filled out with joint filler. Tape on beads can be coated up with the finish. Minsters keep the tape on beads. Called G -tec tape on beads. That thread where I’d used Megadeco on another forum must be 10 years old, I actually forgot I’d used it.

Cheers Tony.

Seems they are OOS on the fibafuse tape.

and instead of something like USG Sheetrock Flexi Metal tape you would recommend something like the USG Beadex paper faced metal bead?

Yes going 5.1.4 as room is only 3.6m wide and 4.6m long. Impact noise and movement from floorboards is apparent so hoping to cross brace joists, 100mm rockwool, acoustic plasterboard, hoodies over each speaker which are closed back but believe needed for some acoustic help and also fire rating of ceiling.

Walls will use 50mm rockwool and acoustic plasterboard.

Once done can then get about having our false chimney breast replaced which houses fire, tv and front speakers. Finally managed to fit a 50 inch 3D led replacing the 42 inch plasma but in doing so cannot bide new cables as different to the old ones and cannot change speaker or go up to a 55 inch OLED so need to try and futureproof.
If you're not already a member, this place is good for information.

Cheers Tony.

Seems they are OOS on the fibafuse tape.

and instead of something like USG Sheetrock Flexi Metal tape you would recommend something like the USG Beadex paper faced metal bead?
Yes, that’s all I use. It doesn’t flare much on the external. When you ask for G-Tec tape on beads, you get Beadex branded beads. They are about £97 a box. 50x 2.4