plasterboard ... whats the difference ???.

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richardbrown

Private Member
Hey guys,

Im a plasterer working out of Plymouth and I have a question.

I have done a few jobs recently where the client has done the boarding and they have put it up the wrong way round, brown side out, now even though it says plaster other side only the clients have asked me to carry on and skim which I have and I have had no problems.

What is the difference between the two sides ?????

I have asked million different people over the years and no one really knows !!!.

Thanks

Rich Brown

Its shite really they say you cant plaster on the brown side because the facing paper overlaps on the back of the board, but we used to plaster the brown side all the time years ago and the plain face was for artex finish and tape and joint,

Also about ten years ago the brown sides paper was bubbling and coming away from the board, it was a manufacturing error i belive.

same as pftmonojet, it used to be brown side out on walls years a go,but we used hessian scrim on joints, did a job last month, customer had dot and dabbed it his self.brown side out 2 thirds of the job then grey side out 1 third of the job ???, ceiling was like a patch work quilt ???,plastered most of it on friday came back monday to finish off, where the plaster had dried there was hair line cracks down the joints, suppose its was caused by where the paper is over lapped then bubbles when gets wet,

a took a ceilin down once n the board was the wrong way round n the plaster was fallin off in big clumps musnt of bonded very well..............

Years ago plasterboard had 2 sides one for skimming and a decorating side which was used for Artexing now every thing is done on 1 side i would think skimming on the wrong side would be tempting fate as the paper is probably inferior but if must be done probably best to prime it first with a sutible primer first.
Lucius.

As I said I have come across it a few times over the years,in fact i have a shop to skim next week and the board is all brown side out.

All I have done in the past is stick the scrim up over joints which also covers the paper overlap then go round and lay up a thin coat of gear over all the scrim then once its gone off a bit pva all the boards and skim as usual .... never had a problem doing it this way !!.

Rich Brown

My only question is why do people put it up the wrong way, as i understand it in the U.K. it tells you on the board and as most board is tapered edge its self explanetary.
Lucius

we had a job to do with foil back......the boss screwed up and ordered standard board and he said fook it just get it up
on the last board we cut it the wrong way round and b*ll***s to it it put it up anyway brown side down ......by know we'd forgotten about the spec and the sitey walks in ;D.........luckily he was on are side fook it just skim it ;D

be a bit careful pvaing them brown sides cos ive had it want to start bubbling before..
just rollin some water on and using multi can work..
had a small ceiling years back that had been boarded about 5 years previous but never been skimmed, right side down..(a builders house..true..), anyway, i didnt think owt of it and just scrimmed it and mixed up...
fook me it went off quick..
been a bit wary of old boards ever since..

bigsegs said:
be a bit careful pvaing them brown sides cos ive had it want to start bubbling before..
just rollin some water on and using multi can work..
had a small ceiling years back that had been boarded about 5 years previous but never been skimmed, right side down..(a builders house..true..), anyway, i didnt think owt of it and just scrimmed it and mixed up...
fook me it went off quick..
been a bit wary of old boards ever since..

old boards do always seem to suck in quicker, ive found sound block (blue boards) seem to suck in quicker than wall board

Ivory paper is designed for plastering on to but the brown side is just recycled. Also the lap of the paper can come away when it gets wet.

where are you getting it for 25 for tub mate .......i get trade prices at 30 quid

spunkybum said:
where are you getting it for 25 for tub mate .......i get trade prices at 30 quid

i get it for 30 aswell thats the cheepest i can find most places charge 40+ for it

Status
Not open for further replies.