Plasterboard ceiling screw holes??

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ky12

Hi all,

ive thrown the boards to ceiling joists in my kitchen ready to skim.
My question is what do I have to do to the screw holes if anything?
Joint filler? Leave them and skim direct? Scrim em?

Any help appreciated as always

Cheers mate. Will the mix stick to the screw head ok then? Or likely to ping at a much later time?

Only if youve put the screws in too far. Push the board around the screws and make sure there is no movement.

And make sure the board is hard up to the joists , as once skimmed when painting etc the board will push up popping the skim off around the screw head , to be honest though it was more of a problem with nails

If you want to be ultra safe you can scrim all screw heads as well as the joints, bit over the top though.

Had a customer who was an architect make me do just that and he also wanted a 2mm joint between the boards.

Had a customer who was an architect make me do just that and he also wanted a 2mm joint between the boards.

I had an architect who measured the distance between screws. Me and the tacker came back in the morning to find pen marks on the wall where he been round after we had left. Tacker told him to fuk right off! Then he asked me how I know I'm putting 3mm of skim on the walls!!!

whats the reason? Is it the same principal as lath and plaster? strengthening the joint or something?

My ex brother-in-law used to say that the artexers on site used to kick off if the ceiling boards were butted up together without the gap cos they had to go round cutting a gap in all the joints

its just to help the filler or plaster get a good grip, normally done for tape and jointing so the filler grips better

its so the plaster holds , scrim was nt used in the old days,and i was taught to put a tacking nail between the laths , when iv done the odd job and didnt have a van always brought lath s to stick in the boot of car and scrim them

was told by a few old boys they used to leave a clout nails width between boards

God that's an old one. Does anyone actually do that?

I was always amazed by plasterboard 'laths', that system uses that principle and you only scrim the ceiling and internal corners. The edges of the boards are round, iirc, and they rely on the finish being pushed thru to stop the joint cracking. The end of the lath boards also have the 3mm gap and no scrim.

God that's an old one. Does anyone actually do that?

I was always amazed by plasterboard 'laths', that system uses that principle and you only scrim the ceiling and internal corners. The edges of the boards are round, iirc, and they rely on the finish being pushed thru to stop the joint cracking. The end of the lath boards also have the 3mm gap and no scrim.

Scrim dosent really stop cracking,it's to hold the plaster in place,when it does crack

Status
Not open for further replies.