plasterboading

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

daz1968

a couple of questions a si am a neby. firstly i have to plasterboard an extension , there are two sockets sitting on the middle of wall would it be in my best interest to start baording from the center of wall so i know how thick to dab using sockets as arule of thumb. secondly i see some plasterers cross lining ie longest side layed horzantal ways and some plasteres lay vertical which is the best

it doesnt really matter which way you lay the boards mate, I sometimes do horizontal and sometimes vertical, depends on the wall, but just lay them the way you think is easiest at the time!

and regarding the sockets, personally I would just start at the edge of the wall and try and guage how much gear Ill need to bring it out to the socket (by the time I get to that board)

Or you can start in the middle of the wall, it really doesnt matter, all will take roughly the same amount of time and neither way will effect the final result!

ive was taught, and have always started boarding from the end of the wall,if its dont properly your distance between board and wall should roughly be the same as the capping. if the sockets are sticking out to much then thats the sparks problem, but better not say anymore about sparks on here as we've already upset one this week!

Its not something that i would think about really i just dab the whole wall then use a box section to bang it in and plumb it up with a level as for the walls with sockets i just put the boards along the wall until you get to the socket area and cut out for it before the dabs go on. Its better to do the whole wall then you don't get any discrepancies.

Dab the wall left to right 10 to 15mm dab, that plus the 12.5mm board thick ness should keep the sparks boxs inside the flush of the board

If u think about it a box is about an inch deep. So if the board is half inch you need to put a dab of adhesive which is gonna be half inch or more afterplumbing the board. Usually I put about inch thick dabs and always start from the sides or off a stud wall so I know the last board to be cut isn't gonna hav a 2 inch difference between the top and bottom of the board.

Fixing boards horizontal is called railroading and i do it some times depending on the wall the only prob you can get is if someone else is doing the taping and jointing with a machine they have to do it by hand and if they are on price, which they always are they dont like it.
Lucius.

lucius said:
Fixing boards horizontal is called railroading and i do it some times depending on the wall the only prob you can get is if someone else is doing the taping and jointing with a machine they have to do it by hand and if they are on price, which they always are they dont like it.
Lucius.

I can machine tape horizontally. What's the problem?

Ime not talking about a bazooka, the thing with resevoir on it, dont know what its called the last job i was on thats what the tapers had and wouldnt work horizontal.
Luvius.

Status
Not open for further replies.