Plaster use by date?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPFPlastering

Hi guys. First post here so be kind.

I run run a plastering firm in London, and just wanted to ask a quick question about the use by date of plaster.
This came up when the customer left lots a finish to use but was finished a few months ago.
Now I never normally have out of date skim as I use it as I need it, but wondered if others have gone pass the date and by how long and it was ok.
Food can be eaten after sell by dates with a sniff and taste test, but plaster?

have a good evening guys, and I welcome any feedback.

Darren.

I run run a plastering firm in London, and just wanted to ask a quick question about the use by date of plaster.
This came up when the customer left lots a finish to use but was finished a few months ago.
Now I never normally have out of date skim as I use it as I need it, but wondered if others have gone pass the date and by how long and it was ok.

Darren.
Personally I wouldn't take the risk one good gauging goes tits up it'll cost you more then you've saved.
It really depends on how its been stored. The more moisture the finish has taken on board the (faster it will set in theory) it will definitely become unpredictable

Personally I wouldn't take the risk one good gauging goes tits up it'll cost you more then you've saved.
It really depends on how its been stored. The more moisture the finish has taken on board the (faster it will set in theory) it will definitely become unpredictable
Plaster is the same as food, sniff it then taste it!:RpS_scared:

left a mate to skim a coved artex ceiling a few years back with some out of date plaster. tought it would ba a bit of a laugh. the plaster was 15 months out of date. thought it would go on him but not as fast as it did. flash set. got it on and it was gone. when i turned up later in the day he was sweating like ******* and cursing to fcuk. trying to sponge the lines out of it ffs. householder - who id worked for before - took me aside and said he wasnt happy and could i come back and redo it. backfired. err, yeah it does go off fast. couple of weeks it might not. and this time of year. mix it with bonding and use it for dubbing out. you should know this anyway if you running a big plastering firm in the big smoke

Your running your own plastering firm and don't know the answer to a basic question lol

I used a bag of multi today at college ( most of thee stuff is out of date ) finishing a wall that I had floated, I thought I had let the background dry to much as gear went off as soon as I put it on then when I took another scoop from the bucket it was solid,had to use a scrapper to get it off bucket trowel. Could not believe how quickly it went.

Got some a few years ago out of selco and it was out of date Didn't realise it until it flashed and set in my bucket .
Then I looked at the date..
Went straight back to selco with the plaster and bucket told them to replace the lot and they did ....

Darren.

And you actually supply people with plasterers? for real money?

Like john said 5min or 5 hours used some last week on my own house it had been in the garage for over 4months took about 3hours to go off you can tell by the smell of it

My local jewons has about 3 pallets of universal thats 18months out of date, get a bag for about £2, great for great for filling in raggles. by the time you've hammered it out the bucket its ready to skim over

She I was Learning I was Knocking up with a podger. Went to get some more water and the tub had set with the podger in. Literally 2 mins

left a mate to skim a coved artex ceiling a few years back with some out of date plaster. tought it would ba a bit of a laugh. the plaster was 15 months out of date. thought it would go on him but not as fast as it did. flash set. got it on and it was gone. when i turned up later in the day he was sweating like ******* and cursing to fcuk. trying to sponge the lines out of it ffs. householder - who id worked for before - took me aside and said he wasnt happy and could i come back and redo it. backfired. err, yeah it does go off fast. couple of weeks it might not. and this time of year. mix it with bonding and use it for dubbing out. you should know this anyway if you running a big plastering firm in the big smoke

Who needs mates like this ?? ;)

Had some last week, use buy sept 15th,1st coat hung around. For 90 mins. Stressfull on a small 80m2 hit :RpS_cursing:

Status
Not open for further replies.