Plaster peeling when troweling up

smarts

Been happing probably over the last few months when trowling up with a bit of water little patches of skim just drag away like the 2nd coat is coming away from the 1st coat if u try filling it it keeps dragging away only way it seems to get rid of it is to take of the plaster back thinner to the board in the little areas happens on plasterboard and not every time and not every wall so I'm thinking is it the plasterboard

Been happing probably over the last few months when trowling up with a bit of water little patches of skim just drag away like the 2nd coat is coming away from the 1st coat if u try filling it it keeps dragging away only way it seems to get rid of it is to take of the plaster back thinner to the board in the little areas happens on plasterboard and not every time and not every wall so I'm thinking is it the plasterboard
How thick are you putting it on? Any photos?

Could be....

Open draft on plaster
First coat going off too much

This happened to me yesterday. Skim on board. I blamed it on the open window where there was a strong draft. I find that there will be one way to take your trowel that it doesn’t happen

goes on normal thickness around 3 to 4mm I'm not at work today but will get photo next week it just happens in random places no type of pattern the rest of the walls be ready to trowel just little patches appear
It's like if the water I splash on melts the plaster just in the od little place

It's an issue with the gear. I've had it 4 to 5 times now, on board and re-skim.

Mentioned it on here a few times, see the picture. Look familiar?

Attachments

• 1C41A780-58CD-4F98-97F5-8074971058AD.jpeg
    1C41A780-58CD-4F98-97F5-8074971058AD.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 606
Plenty of water on it and trowel down the way can reduce peeling. Sometimes it's just going to happen, timings need tweeked to suit. Try and butter fat creamed off the wall over the peeled bits, should be alright

Don't think its the gear so much maybe the first coat is just a tad to dry to bond with the next coat.

I lay it down wet so can't be that, 100% the gear. heard same of another spread.

Look at my picture closely, at first glance it can be mistaken for the top coat coming away. But it isn't.. I couldn't put it on that thin if I tried, it's like a film coming off.. really weird.

I lay it down wet so can't be that, 100% the gear. heard same of another spread.

Look at my picture closely, at first glance it can be mistaken for the top coat coming away. But it isn't.. I couldn't put it on that thin if I tried, it's like a film coming off.. really weird.
Ah ok, multi used do that many years ago too. Still pine for carlite finish.

Having closer look your not seeing the first coat its to dimpled. Its like the finished part is breaking away from the same coat.

Is that with just wetting your trowel.

I use the same process every time mate, It did it on one room but next job diff gear didn't do it. Had it a few times now but bare in mind i'm skimming 5 days a week min, so it's rare. Happened to a few people

I use the same process every time mate, It did it on one room but next job diff gear didn't do it. Had it a few times now but bare in mind i'm skimming 5 days a week min, so it's rare. Happened to a few people
I get what your saying that its to random to be a fault in the process.

Usually happens when it dries too fast. Usually 3rd or last trowel. On real high suction happens first trowel but once closed in it comes under control. When it happens after, youre better to leave it til its almost fully set and give it a grind to get a finish on it. Brush water on and trowel down the way, helps. It's frustrating though, can try your patience

Bad gear. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it

I'm with you on this one, I've had it a few times over the last few years, the gear these days is s**t, we all know that! Some times it's good, others it's like chewing gum, others it tears etc/