plaster on ply.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please tell me I am not too far behind the times.
Just lost out on a small job because I told the customer that you can't skim directly on to plywood. even if pva is applied. But he insists the guy over the road who "does a bit of building" says you can. yes or no ?

I'm going with in theory yes but getting it to stick and not crack will be hard. Unless you have a thin mesh that the plaster has something to grab onto.

Someone with far more experience will come along soon enough and advise you better

You can but will it stay on is the question or is the process to get it to stay on sensible economically or time wise, I am sure some of the expensive grit adhesives would help it to bond, possibly an embedded mesh in the first coat, but would I do it, I have to say NO.why not fit 9.5 mm plasterboard on top and then skim, or use tape and filler designed for the process as in decorate the ply, tell him, ply is the new feature wall...

Like John says just screw plasterboard to the ply & skim.
If there's no room for plasterboard remove ply & fix plasterboard & skim.
But if there's no other way, use bonding agent, coat of bonding then skim. Not saying it won't crack eventually though.

you can but it will crack at some point (guaranteed) movement and shrinkage of wood will cause this , your choice ,your name is on the line... personally myself no don't !

I must admit i have done it on a few jobs years ago where extras have come up and very small areas of less than 1 m2 and, frankly could not be bothered to argue with t#ssers who think they know it all but, always always put on the final invoice that whatever was applied to ply was advised against and was only done at customers request with no guarantee of materials or service for that particular part of works.

Simple answer. Tell him to get then bloke over the road to skim it. Then when it fails hes the one who looks like a prize pric.k

I posted on here bout 6 months ago that I used a Dutch product and that it was made to go on anything , stuck like the proverbial , as for any other products ie BG,knauf etc , no way def not.

FFS just go an get a bag of this :RpS_cool:

photo_zps1afd80b6.jpg

You can!
With new Thistle Ply Finish, no need for pva. No shelling or cracks guaranteed. :RpS_unsure:

I had a similar job a few years ago. the client told me his "mate" could plaster over a ply arch by chucking sand in the pva, I disagreed and said I would only board with 9.5mm and scim. He moaned on about cost and said his mate did it often. why chance it for a bit of board, loads of penny pinchers out there

You can!
With new Thistle Ply Finish, no need for pva. No shelling or cracks guaranteed. :RpS_unsure:

it defo gives you a cracking finish........................:RpS_thumbsup:...................:RpS_unsure:................:-(.................:RpS_crying:..................:RpS_cursing:

Status
Not open for further replies.