Plaster not spreading on the wall properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearbramwell

Hi there, so i'm plastering a landing top to bottom and the walls are flat however when i'm laying the first coat on it's just not spreading on the walls properly.

Two coats of PVA were applied, the walls were porous, very old with multiple types of plaster.

The plaster i'm using is multi finish, what i don't understand is why the plaster is just not spreading right, maybe it's the crappy trowel i'm using i'm not sure.

Have you guy's got any help for why this is happening ?...Thanks in advance.

Hi there, so i'm plastering a landing top to bottom and the walls are flat however when i'm laying the first coat on it's just not spreading on the walls properly.

Two coats of PVA were applied, the walls were porous, very old with multiple types of plaster.

The plaster i'm using is multi finish, what i don't understand is why the plaster is just not spreading right, maybe it's the crappy trowel i'm using i'm not sure.

Have you guy's got any help for why this is happening ?...Thanks in advance.

Hi there, the trowel, no matter how crappy won't really affect the laying on of the plaster unless it is seriously bent out of shape. Its more likely that its a suction problem but could also be knocked up in completely the wrong consistancy. We usually knock ours up so that is stiff enough so that it doesnt fall everywhere but wet enough so that it tips out of a bucket. Try looking at you tube for some pointers or best suggestion get a plasterer.

How was the pva sitting on the wall when you were trying to spread the plaster? Was it tacky or dry or wet? Could be plaster mixed too stiff and glue not dry enough which would make it hard to spread.

The consistency of the plaster is thick and creamy, it dries at a normal rate, no lumps whatsoever since i use a mixing paddle to mix the plaster.

The PVA is 3:1 ratio.

If the plaster looks like its dragging then your pva could still be too wet. Also is the surface you're plastering really dry or something more like silk emulsion? If its the latter this could also be the problem

Hi there, the trowel, no matter how crappy won't really affect the laying on of the plaster unless it is seriously bent out of shape. Its more likely that its a suction problem but could also be knocked up in completely the wrong consistancy. We usually knock ours up so that is stiff enough so that it doesnt fall everywhere but wet enough so that it tips out of a bucket. Try looking at you tube for some pointers or best suggestion get a plasterer.
if the walls are very old then it might be better to coat with bonding first.then multi.

The wall is old plaster, yes very flaky and porous walls...The PVA isn't wet it's tacky.

You definitely need to remove anything flaky for a start and Carlos earlier mentioned SBR instead of PVA. You will find this in most builders merchants. Its not cheap but works a treat!!!

It sounds like the PVA was too wet and it goes that horrible gloopy like :-(

I prefer these days to skim over dry PVA :) never have any problems :)

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.