Plaster cracked after I left

Manofyear93

Hi guys,
Yesterday I plastered a boarded conservatory ceiling. The house was absolutely boiling so I opened back doors to try to keep the temperature down. done it all properly, scrimmed the joints, two coats of plaster. This morning I came back around to collect some tools and there are egg shell cracks and hair line cracks all over the place! He then told me the boards had been up for a month, does this make any difference?

Obviously he has asked me to re do it which ofcourse I will but is this my fault and if it cracks again what else can I do if he keeps his house at 25degrees!

What should i do? re skim or something else?

Last edited:
My mate said use gyproc easi fill but never used it before so dont want to risk it, thinking of pva'ing then put a bit of skim over and blend it in, any thoughts?

Hi guys,
Yesterday I plastered a boarded conservatory ceiling. The house was absolutely boiling so I opened back doors to try to keep the temperature down. done it all properly, scrimmed the joints, two coats of plaster. This morning I came back around to collect some tools and there are egg shell cracks and hair line cracks all over the place! He then told me the boards had been up for a month, does this make any difference?

Obviously he has asked me to re do it which ofcourse I will but is this my fault and if it cracks again what else can I do if he keeps his house at 25degrees!

Heat plus that sort of suction don't make for a happy plasterer :tarjetaroja:
Sbr/uni bond and redo. Tell the client though the temperature has to be dropped a lot though to allow for normal drying even straight after you've finished

Hi guys,

Tell the customer to go out for the day and turn the heating off. What a liberty!!! If I turn up to a job and the house is like an oven I always let my customers know that if they insist on having the heating on then the risk of crazing is down to them!

and if it cracks again what else can I do if he keeps his house at 25degrees!

What should i do?

Tell him not to keep his house at 25 degrees, I suppose :)

I advise people not to put the heating on and to open windows if they feel safe and secure doing that.

Or they risk crazing.

Of course, it makes no difference. If they ignore me and it crazes, they'll just pretend that they did what I said and say it's my fault anyway.

I would go all out now, apply a grit the day before ,ask them to leave the heat on very low the day before, the day you do it and the day after , bang on a coat and put in the embedded mesh, second coat it,

thanks, ill grab some uni finish and put it on?
should i just go over the cracks and blend it in? im not bringing myself to re do the whole ceiling no way.

should i just go over the cracks and blend it in? im not bringing myself to re do the whole ceiling no way.
Patching isn't good , how big is the ceiling? In a conservatory it can't be that big , better off to bite the bullet .

Yes. Get an empty biro and fill the cartridge with Unifinish, then draw over the cracks.

Leave it til after lunch and spend five minutes sanding.

Job's a good un.

new to plastering unfortunately, havent had this problem before. :( dont hate just trying to crack on haha, just after some good advice
Old boards do dry Faster than Newly Fitted ones, a pva coat prior to the skim coat would of helped and prevented the faster drying and crazing , the heat definitely had to be turned down or off

new to plastering unfortunately, havent had this problem before. :( dont hate just trying to crack on haha, just after some good advice
Thought so, unfortunately you have learnt the hard way on that one mate. Just put it right and move on. It’s only a day out of your life!

Old boards do dry Faster than Newly Fitted ones, a pva coat prior to the skim coat would of helped and prevented the faster drying and crazing , the heat definitely had to be turned down or off

yeah i wasnt told until after i skimmed that the boards had been on a month, from the way he was talking beforehand sounded like he had done it days before, my fault should of asked i suppose.

Boards being up for a month or two haven't caused this, nor has the heating IMO, you just don't know what you're doing, that's the real problem.
Not what you want to hear but the truth.
Do you not think that conservatories or loft conversions get plastered in the height of the summer?

Boards being up for a month or two haven't caused this, nor has the heating IMO, you just don't know what you're doing, that's the real problem.
Not what you want to hear but the truth.
Do you not think that conservatories or loft conversions get plastered in the height of the summer?

you've obviously never made a mistake, maybe i dont know what the problem was but thats why ive asked!

you've obviously never made a mistake, maybe i dont know what the problem was but thats why ive asked!
To be honest when I was at the stage when I didn't understand the basics I was working with someone that would guide me, it's how things used to be done rather than learning on your own on paying customers job.
Sorry I'm old skool.

ive skimmed loads of lofts in heat waves its never crazed.....especially on new builds where plots are well insulated.

ive only seen crazed in minus temps.
i know im a greedy little c**t il throw a splash of water onto boards il leave it if it freezes.

your problem isnt the heat.
if the boards have been up a while it sounds like theve been covered in dust and not cleaned off.

the dust in lofts can be crazy..

ive skimmed loads of lofts in heat waves its never crazed.....especially on new builds where plots are well insulated.

ive only seen crazed in minus temps.
i know im a greedy little c**t il throw a splash of water onto boards il leave it if it freezes.

your problem isnt the heat.
if the boards have been up a while it sounds like theve been covered in dust and not cleaned off.

the dust in lofts can be crazy..

I've had it crazed in a conservatory. (I don't know what conservatory has a ceiling that needs skimming but that's another matter)

The customer would not accept that it was too hot and mithered me and the main contractor who was supplying the conservatory until I went ahead and did it.

Sure enough, it crazed - very lightly though.

I pointed it out to the customer and advised him to thicken his base coat of paint with PVA.

The ran away. Hopefully all was well because I never heard any more about it.

I've had it crazed in a conservatory. (I don't know what conservatory has a ceiling that needs skimming but that's another matter)

The customer would not accept that it was too hot and mithered me and the main contractor who was supplying the conservatory until I went ahead and did it.

Sure enough, it crazed - very lightly though.

I pointed it out to the customer and advised him to thicken his base coat of paint with PVA.

The ran away. Hopefully all was well because I never heard any more about it.

sorry i thought he meant skimming a loft........
but i couldnt really care mate im doing this now.
THE STEAK TEST !!!!!
i think fillet is over priced shite.
gonna cook and eat at the same time
See what the fuss is about(y)

Attachments

• Plaster cracked after I left
    20171128_190812.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 238
i think fillet is over priced shite.

Well you would do if you buy it from the Co-op.

A better test would be to eat your co-op sirloin tonight and then buy a fillet from an actual butcher.

Then compare it with your co-op fillet tomorrow.