Plaster Band sand & cement rendering - how to

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

boatbuilder

Just wondering if anyone could give a guide on how to form three-inch plaster bands around a garage door without using easibeads. (I do have plastic corner beads though)

The wall is bare blocks, cavity wall with concrete lintels. I am planning to render the inside walls of the garage as well.
I was thinking of scudding the wall, reveals and lintel with 2:1 sand:cement with sbr to start with.
After that, I'm stuck as to how to attach beads at the correct positions to make the bands etc. :RpS_blushing:

Yes I had an idea it involved battens but was just lookin for a bit more detail as to how exactly to do it.

Hope I don't get band for talking about bands. :RpS_thumbsup:

You can fit a batten all around the door frame to have your inside line ,leave it out the depth you require, then fix a batten all around creating the outside line. Now are you doing the band after you float the wall or prior to it . I would scratch wall first then fix battens put concrete mould oil on the battens where it hits the new render. Leave for a few days before you remove, then you can apply second coat on rest of wall, consider your depths all the time, ask what depth of band you want left and ensure the band will give this to you.. Or you will be banned
ps scud as you planned

Last edited:
Oh yeah I meant three inches wide not deep.
I get the idea of fixing battens on top of the scratch to form the outside edges of the band. Can't get my head around how you use battens to form the inside corners though at the same time as rendering the reveal too. I suppose I could use plastic corner beads somehow?

You can do it without beads using ply on the reveals built of for render depth
So as your looking at it will look like a box going around the opening
In line with the battens sometimes things like this are hard to explain

Oh yeah I meant three inches wide not deep.
I get the idea of fixing battens on top of the scratch to form the outside edges of the band. Can't get my head around how you use battens to form the inside corners though at the same time as rendering the reveal too. I suppose I could use plastic corner beads somehow?
Heard of patent reveals, ask a local guy to explain it, its hard to put it in print as we assume certain knowledge and experience.

So you would scratch the lot, fix battens, render the front of the bands, wait til set, remove battens and then render the reveal afterwards?

I thought patent reveals were usually just a one inch width? I've seen the batten technique for doing those ones by overlapping two battens - but that obviously won't work for a 3 inch width.
If I render the reveals after the bands have set, will there not be a line between the band and the reveal?

http://www.ecollege.ie/site/liu/Plastering/module 2/m2u2.pdf
I was thinking of using that process on the inner section of the door and the three inch band been made up by the other batten . Can you post a picture pre works?

Forgive the temporary doors! I have roller shutters ready to be fitted, just have to do the rendering first.

IMG_20130628_220820_zps25c4f396.jpg

IMG_20130628_220746_zps88c8a52a.jpg

If I ever understand what you mean, I swear I'll do a diagram and post it up :RpS_thumbsup:- a picture speaks a thousand words and all that.

I would not bother with battens just oversail on scratch rub up and cut back to required width

Soz marra. im just get used to this kids speak...........................im not yet down with them like your good self..............:RpS_wink:

So would most people use a corner bead or not for the inside edge of the band?
I would not myself, think of the depths, its going to be out 12 mm more for the band, but on site as you do it, it might work for you. Never over think plastering, its not designed that way or are we,

Hi boat builder, I did a job last year and did 60 bands in 6 different colours in mono. What I did was, scratched the building first, when it cured, stuck the beads on 25mm proud, plumbed them etc. then screwed roofing lats (25mm) around the window 150m width of the beads, all way round. Used some release agent on the timber, applied the mono, scraped it flush to the lats using the I beam then finished. Left it 2 days then screwed them off. Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.