Plans Help!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arti

Got some plans emailed to me today and ive only priced off plans a couple of times. Anyway it states for the walls 30mm Insulated boards screw fixed and skimmed. So i looked at the room plans and the arent studded out so i was abit miffed why it says screw fixed..................or does it mean dabbed then mechanically fixed??

Been trying to ring the builder for clarification but he's not answering...........Just wanted to ask the lads who price of plans all the time if im reading it right or am i just a doofus...............:rolleyes)

All plaster to be applied in accordance with B.S. Code of Practice C.P. 211:1966.

All plaster used shall be brought to site in unopened bags.

All water used to mix plaster shall be clean and free from impurities.

The skim coat to be 5mm thick applied to two coats and is to be the B.S. 1191 Part 1 Class B.

All finished plasterwork shall be smooth and free from trowel marks, spots, etc.

Prevent excessively rapid or localised drying out.

All external angles to be reinforced using Expament thin coat angle head.

Solid Walls (New)
Plaster new solid walls with 30mm insulated plasterboard screw fixed and skim 5mm

SCHEDULE OF WORKS

1. Plasterwork to newly built blockwork walls to be in 30mm insulated plasterboard screw fixed and skim 5mm

2 Supply and fix 9.5mm plasterboard and 5mm skim to new stud partitions and internal blockwork.

3. Supply and fix 12.7mm duplex plasterboard and 5mm skim to new ceilings (10kg/m3).

4. Supply and fix to sloped or T fall ceilings 40mm plusboard screw fixed and skim finish laid between and over ceiling joists

5. Supply and lay 75mm self levelling screed 80kg/m2 on 0.2mmwaterproof membrane on 75mm Kingspan TF 75 Thermaflor 0.2mmwaterproof membrane on beam and block floor linked to dpc

5mm of skim, seems very old fashioned spec ,the screw fixed would normally be hammer fixings in my opinion following dab but there is no mention of dabbing in your spec, one in each corner and one in the middle, 5mm coat would require bonding in first coat

Last edited:
Depends who's insulated boards they are cos they all have different fixing recomendations i.e. some state 4 mech fixings for dabbed and others 3 plus they all have different specs for screw fixing and some even have a spec for grounds fixings and dabbing ffs. Is it a new build Arti ?

Depends who's insulated boards they are cos they all have different fixing recomendations i.e. some state 4 mech fixings for dabbed and others 3 plus they all have different specs for screw fixing and some even have a spec for grounds fixings and dabbing ffs. Is it a new build Arti ?

aye marra its a new build

its just standard template spec from an architect or draughtsman. does it say clout nails to tack the plasterboards and hessian scrim joints. :rolleyes)

Doesn't sound right to me bud, I price smaller jobs off plans myself, bigger jobs I get a qs I know to do it (always estimate myself to be sure) he only charges me if I get the job. I'd price it to cover the most amount of work myself, haven't heard of a 5mm skim requirement though

don't see whats the point in insulated boards on new build block, there should be 50mm in the cavity to get it to regs and desired u value.

The 5mm thickness for skim is over 20 years old, is taken from the British standard, approved code of practice for internal plastering, the 1992 revision. Think someone needs a new copy.

Got some plans emailed to me today and ive only priced off plans a couple of times. Anyway it states for the walls 30mm Insulated boards screw fixed and skimmed. So i looked at the room plans and the arent studded out so i was abit miffed why it says screw fixed..................or does it mean dabbed then mechanically fixed??

Been trying to ring the builder for clarification but he's not answering...........Just wanted to ask the lads who price of plans all the time if im reading it right or am i just a doofus...............:rolleyes)

All plaster to be applied in accordance with B.S. Code of Practice C.P. 211:1966.

All plaster used shall be brought to site in unopened bags.

All water used to mix plaster shall be clean and free from impurities.

The skim coat to be 5mm thick applied to two coats and is to be the B.S. 1191 Part 1 Class B.

All finished plasterwork shall be smooth and free from trowel marks, spots, etc.

Prevent excessively rapid or localised drying out.

All external angles to be reinforced using Expament thin coat angle head.

Solid Walls (New)
Plaster new solid walls with 30mm insulated plasterboard screw fixed and skim 5mm

SCHEDULE OF WORKS

1. Plasterwork to newly built blockwork walls to be in 30mm insulated plasterboard screw fixed and skim 5mm

2 Supply and fix 9.5mm plasterboard and 5mm skim to new stud partitions and internal blockwork.

3. Supply and fix 12.7mm duplex plasterboard and 5mm skim to new ceilings (10kg/m3).

4. Supply and fix to sloped or T fall ceilings 40mm plusboard screw fixed and skim finish laid between and over ceiling joists

5. Supply and lay 75mm self levelling screed 80kg/m2 on 0.2mmwaterproof membrane on 75mm Kingspan TF 75 Thermaflor 0.2mmwaterproof membrane on beam and block floor linked to dpc

Take it your pricing for MP finish...........:RpS_thumbup:

If it was me arti i would just work it out for dabbing and the mech fixings, I take it you are supply and labour pricing so unles they are stating a specific manufacturer for mats price and spec off what you would normally use and state your usually materials/ method in the quote.

don't see whats the point in insulated boards on new build block, there should be 50mm in the cavity to get it to regs and desired u value.

nearly every new build i do has insulated board dabbed. Did one during the summer with 80mm insulated boards on top of thermalites. I have only priced for one new build float and set in the last 2 years. Lots of extensions float and set tho

I'd get a specific insulTed board specified first. All depends on the u value they are trying to achieve. Massive difference in price. You could quote the cheapest and they want the dearest plus you could quote the other way then be a million miles away. It does sound an old spec. You could get a spons book which will sh*t the life out the builder or a qs involved. Either it's costing you just to price it.

One way to protect yourself a little is quote as a comparison a BG spec from the white book and detail it fully then any changes allows you to adjust your price! Clear as mud!

Don't worry too much about the wording. They just hit you with all the officials to cover the arses. They overload with info and its your job to pick out the bits relevant to you to get the picture of what your pricing.

If the spec says screw just allow for that in your price

its just standard template spec from an architect or draughtsman. does it say clout nails to tack the plasterboards and hessian scrim joints. :rolleyes)

The spec for the garage is 12.8mm boards....................these must be special boards....................:-0.

Im goona pop in and see the builder the morn.................lets hope he's got a scooby doo cos by the looks of the schedule of works he hasnt read any of it

or like has already been said its a generic template from a spec years ago and who ever did it couldnt be arsed to update it

agree unless you know the builder,
spend time working it out when your barely in with a shout to start with. they'll send it out to 5 outfits, pick lowest 2 out, ask the said mentioned 2 if one can beat each other, there you have it race to the bottom, equalling poor rates. building trade summed up in one small paragraph

Roger.....................Cheers for all the replies lads.............much appreciated......................:RpS_thumbup:

Roger.....................Cheers for all the replies lads.............much appreciated......................:RpS_thumbup:

The specifications are just bog standard architect crap, should read 3mm-5mm top coat.
When you get in touch with main contractor just pull him up on the spec your not sure of mate, then price accordingly (plus 20%) for any unforseen sfuff :RpS_thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.