Planning Permissions For A Loft Conversion In A Flat

Status
Not open for further replies.
why would anyone want to do that ?
It's quite common in London, skulduggery is one reason, t do and also to prevent others taking liberties, ie new roof required, freeholder supplies three quotes, basically the leaseholder pays lions share and a bit

It's quite common in London, skulduggery is one reason, t do and also to prevent others taking liberties, ie new roof required, freeholder supplies three quotes, basically the leaseholder pays lions share and a bit

i see you would have to purchase the land off every flat owner in the block,of your property. to gain control.

we worked on some council blocks in east london, the council had sold some of the flats off. the council then ordered a new roof and ewi to the external as the flats where built in no fines. the people who had purchased their flats had to pay the contractor £10,000 each for their share of the works.

i see you would have to purchase the land off every flat owner in the block,of your property. to gain control.

we worked on some council blocks in east london, the council had sold some of the flats off. the council then ordered a new roof and ewi to the external as the flats where built in no fines. the people who had purchased their flats had to pay the contractor £10,000 each for their share of the works.
bet that came as a bloody shock

bet that came as a bloody shock

i remember a chap in a ground floor was having an augment he was saying that he could not care less if the building had a roof on it or not. there was five flats above his.
the council had given the owners a second mortgage to meet the contractors costs.

todays meetings went well :)

We will need building regs :) BUt the others in the block are fine with us putting in velux windows :) So my loft conversion is starting to look good :)

I also have bought a spare garage :) So I now have storage for my other kit car based sideline which I will hopefully be rolling out in 12-18 months :)

So tomorrow is the day I hit the phones and do a deal on actual flat :)

So far so fricken good :)

Danny

Just finished one and no planning required just building control approval as it is permitted development

One if the main things is you need the head height for a set of stairs and also a fire exit out of the roof a fireman/plasterer needs to be able to reach you from a set of ladders.

Offer was accepted today :)

However we will need planning permission for the velux windows :)

But i got up in teh loft today and managed to take some crape photos :)

Does that look like a Purlin to you guys?

Sorry for the photos :)

Purloin ,yes it is
so ,you are just putting veluxes in and keeping it as it is.any dwarf walls been built, any steel going in as ridge beam? Beefing up the joists? Insulation,? Tri ISO super ten would work with insulated plasterboard 38mm,

Last edited:
Purloin ,yes it is
so ,you are just putting veluxes in and keeping it as it is.any dwarf walls been built, any steel going in as ridge beam? Beefing up the joists? Insulation,? Tri ISO super ten would work with insulated plasterboard 38mm,

Huh?

I believe the freeholder can refuse you permission for any loft conversion/building works.

Best to check with them.

yes dwarf walls will be use to create storage :)

Not thought about the ridge yet... is it normal to need it?

Yes beefing the floors joist but not sure on how yet... Insulation is definite and velux windows will be providing the planning is ok.

Also hoping to get a little shower and bog up there as well

I believe the freeholder can refuse you permission for any loft conversion/building works.

Best to check with them.

We own 1/6 of the free hold and we have spoken to to half the building and they are more than happy :) So only 2 people to sweet talk and they have the loft space as well :D

The insulation is a very subjective thing for the councils, each and everyone has different requirements ,some want 100mm solid with an air gap and insulated plasterboard with 50mm thickness on top of joists,probably they way to go for you I think, you can beef up joists by laying an additional one alongside the older ones or by removing each older one, one by one and replacing, you will lose the ceilings below obviously,I would do a ridge beam my self not sure if its a requirement in this circumstance.

The insulation is a very subjective thing for the councils, each and everyone has different requirements ,some want 100mm solid with an air gap and insulated plasterboard with 50mm thickness on top of joists,probably they way to go for you I think, you can beef up joists by laying an additional one alongside the older ones or by removing each older one, one by one and replacing, you will lose the ceilings below obviously,I would do a ridge beam my self not sure if its a requirement in this circumstance.

I will be pulling all the ceilings down anyway as they full of artex and coving so they are already condemned :)

Is that not already a ridge beam going through already?

The insulation side of things I will just go with what is recommended... Looks like there will be plenty of room available :) (I Hope)

I will be pulling all the ceilings down anyway as they full of artex and coving so they are already condemned :)

Is that not already a ridge beam going through already?

The insulation side of things I will just go with what is recommended... Looks like there will be plenty of room available :) (I Hope)
You have a ridge plate, beam is an rsj sitting on pad stones either end,a structural engineer will give you a spec for what's required, re the joists, if you are dropping the ceilings, I would replace all the joists with tantalised 8/2 c24 timber, remove one by one will keep its structural integrity , simple job for a decent carpenter, has the roof got breathable membrane ,it will if its recently been done..

Ok Yes I can do the ceiling joists quite easily myself I think :) Chippy work is a doddle :) (famous last words)

I am pretty certain the roof has a breathable membrane as well...

How many floors up? If you need steel you will need a crane, if you have the height downstairs you could make the loft even bigger if you are dropping the ceilings also remember if you are on the top floor it's a lot of **** to get down. Overboard will give you the fire rating you will need for the loft and save you a hell of a lot of work. If your council lets you use tri ISO 10 this will give you even more space. Be careful who you get your drawings off this can be the most important stage for you and also for the building inspector. Take pics of every stage this way you won't need to wait for checks before carrying on, think about fire escapes this is very important.

How many floors up? If you need steel you will need a crane, if you have the height downstairs you could make the loft even bigger if you are dropping the ceilings also remember if you are on the top floor it's a lot of **** to get down. Overboard will give you the fire rating you will need for the loft and save you a hell of a lot of work. If your council lets you use tri ISO 10 this will give you even more space. Be careful who you get your drawings off this can be the most important stage for you and also for the building inspector. Take pics of every stage this way you won't need to wait for checks before carrying on, think about fire escapes this is very important.
Our job in Peckham has passed tri ISO 10 with 38mm insulated board on top, problem for Danny is he would have to staple it on to joists then fitted 25mm battens then 38 mm on top, might be easier to in fill with 100mm quinntherm and leave 50 mm air gap and then fit 50mm insulated p,board, he could use a split ridge beam to save on a crane and have it carried up stairs, might need a hand with it..fire escapes differ depending on the amount of floors.

We are a first floor flat :)

Doubt I can lower ceilings as they are a wee bit taller than standard but not much.... No I dont want a dormer as this is mainly just for an office as I want to keep my living and work space away from each other...

Every step of the way will be photographed anyway as we no doubt will be blogging about it on TPN :)

Yep I will be on the case with my mate disco don the cross dressing draftman architect chap :)

I will obviously encouraging sponsors and people to help along the way :)

Get Kingspan on board for all insulation lol you have knauf for boards, velux, stair people, and a good timber supplier.

One if the main things is you need the head height for a set of stairs and also a fire exit out of the roof a fireman/plasterer needs to be able to reach you from a set of ladders.
Not anymore you need acess to your fromt door with out going through any occupied rooms and sometimes a sprinkler system put in fire doors and ceilings below fireboarded

Not anymore you need acess to your fromt door with out going through any occupied rooms and sometimes a sprinkler system put in fire doors and ceilings below fireboarded
Say the fire is downstairs and your in the loft? I know regs are different in different areas but an escape route is always needed out of the loft usually through a window of a certain size. The height off the floor comes into it, the way it opens comes into it and the measurement from the gutter comes into it and finally it needs to be able to get access with a set of ladders or there needs to be a place you can climb out to and safely wait to be rescued. Some of the things you mentioned are required but a lot if other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.