Permitted Development for outbuildings and Building regs

Members online

Alright all :D

A property purchase is looking to complete very soon :-\ and I need to start thinking about building my office at the bottom of the garden :D (I am not doing an underground bunker now)

the thing that is not clear or atleast to me anyway is what i can do....

The garden is about 11 meters wide and I want to build to about 500mm of the boundary to get the max width. so the building is looking to be about 10 meters wide and then I want to go about 4.5 meters deep... so total area of about 45m2

From my reading I can go right up to the boundary providing that you use majority of non flammable materials ie blocks.

but I cant build over 2.5 meters high and anything over 30m2 floor space I need to have building regs?

Is that correct or have I miss read it all?

A property purchase is looking to complete very soon :-\ and I need to start thinking about building my office at the bottom of the garden :D (I am not doing an underground bunker now)

The garden is about 11 meters wide and I want to build to about 500mm of the boundary to get the max width. so the building is looking to be about 10 meters wide and then I want to go about 4.5 meters deep... so total area of about 45m2

From my reading I can go right up to the boundary providing that you use majority of non flammable materials ie blocks.

but I cant build over 2.5 meters high and anything over 30m2 floor space I need to have building regs?

Sounds about right . When I did mine I was working for building regs and he told me what to do tonget away with planning.
I can bell him tomoznif you want just let me know what you need to know. Free honey and pint glass off course

Maybe get a planning consultant involved mate. I have for the last couple of projects invaluable and saves headaches later.

Yeah we are getting one for the rest of the house but kinder wanted to get the office built while we were waiting for that.

Maybe patience is a virtue

My wife is a planning consultant she says have you read the guidance on the planning portal the link is:

https://ecab.planningportal.co.uk/uploads/mini guides/outbuildings/Outbuildings.pdf

PM me if you want to speak to her once you’ve read it.

Thats pretty much how I had it mate looked into it all last year.

Only thing I queried (as it was on a hill) is where does the 2.5m measurement get taken from, that was all.

Its teh 8 week wait for it all that will wind me up but still I will have lots of other things to be doing

Sounds about right . When I did mine I was working for building regs and he told me what to do tonget away with planning.
I can bell him tomoznif you want just let me know what you need to know. Free honey and pint glass off course

Different regs for mud huts!

My daughter is building one similar size they got planning. . I built a 6.5x 4.5 .x 2.4. hight. Last house. I had to be 2m from boundaries. Then do as you like. Look at slough all the gardens are full of cabins ,upto the fences.postmen deliver post. They don't enforce the law , but if it was you or me they would send the big boys round. Why my emojis not showing dan .

Check average time for planning to go thru' it used to be 3 months in West Berks. If it is on a slope the height is measured where it touches the ground, not the bit in the air. The height is measured at the edge by the fence npot the highest point so a pitched roof or slope rising away from it is ok. Dutch barn style anyone?
Think about how you're going to heat it, small stoves for home offices are virtually sold out at the moment, no planning needed if no sleeping accommodation. Reinforce the roof with proper joists and you can put hives on it, my bees love it.

Check average time for planning to go thru' it used to be 3 months in West Berks. If it is on a slope the height is measured where it touches the ground, not the bit in the air. The height is measured at the edge by the fence npot the highest point so a pitched roof or slope rising away from it is ok. Dutch barn style anyone?
Think about how you're going to heat it, small stoves for home offices are virtually sold out at the moment, no planning needed if no sleeping accommodation. Reinforce the roof with proper joists and you can put hives on it, my bees love it.

Did not know you kept bees :D

I cant have bees at home. My little boy is going to be seriously allergic to Bee stings so my garden will be an anti bee zone :-(

We are going to be putting loads of planning through so will just leave it all to architect I will spend the 3 months waiting finishing off my kit cat instead :D

Heating I was looking at using the electric heating that I have used in the past and I will be adding a log burner I worked out it will need a 5.5KW burner so they see fairly well stocked locally. I will need 2 of them one for the house as well :D

Did not know you kept bees :D

I cant have bees at home. My little boy is going to be seriously allergic to Bee stings so my garden will be an anti bee zone :-(

We are going to be putting loads of planning through so will just leave it all to architect I will spend the 3 months waiting finishing off my kit cat instead :D

Heating I was looking at using the electric heating that I have used in the past and I will be adding a log burner I worked out it will need a 5.5KW burner so they see fairly well stocked locally. I will need 2 of them one for the house as well :D
How slowly do you nibble your kit cat?

Hi Danny,
5.5.kw too big for a home office, look at "small stoves" on Stovefitters Wharehouse.co.uk, Julian knows his stuff.
At least one major stove manufacturer has stopped production now as unable to get components into the country. Stovax are basically an EU stoves importer so will be hit the same when Uk stocks run out
But it'll take a time before you need a stove - but plan it well ahead as part of the Architects drawings - and tell him to get a HETAS guy to advise him, not try to do it himself - I get loads of after-the-event f-ups to sort out. Couple of builders and Arch's now come to me first.

Why is your boy going to be alleregic to bee stings? - v.rare, nobody in the uk has ever died of a bee sting, only wasp stings.

Hi Danny,
5.5.kw too big for a home office, look at "small stoves" on Stovefitters Wharehouse.co.uk, Julian knows his stuff.
At least one major stove manufacturer has stopped production now as unable to get components into the country. Stovax are basically an EU stoves importer so will be hit the same when Uk stocks run out
But it'll take a time before you need a stove - but plan it well ahead as part of the Architects drawings - and tell him to get a HETAS guy to advise him, not try to do it himself - I get loads of after-the-event f-ups to sort out. Couple of builders and Arch's now come to me first.

Why is your boy going to be alleregic to bee stings? - v.rare, nobody in the uk has ever died of a bee sting, only wasp stings.

I stuck the size of the outbuilding into a calculator and it said I needed 5.3kw :D I will pick your brain nearer the time :D

Albert has a genetic disease which we are in early stages of working through :-( we have a partial diagnosis but still waiting to find out how severe it is. Obviously keeping everything crossed for him to lead a normal life as possible :-( However according to doctors he is massively high risk on anaphylaxis and that bees are an issue along with other stings etc.

Its been a bit of a stress and a worry but we are working our way through things and reevaluating everything in our lives

I stuck the size of the outbuilding into a calculator and it said I needed 5.3kw :D I will pick your brain nearer the time :D

Albert has a genetic disease which we are in early stages of working through :-( we have a partial diagnosis but still waiting to find out how severe it is. Obviously keeping everything crossed for him to lead a normal life as possible :-( However according to doctors he is massively high risk on anaphylaxis and that bees are an issue along with other stings etc.

Its been a bit of a stress and a worry but we are working our way through things and reevaluating everything in our lives
Who'd be a parent eh?
Hopefully it all works out ok for the little bugger.