Penetrating and rising damp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan.mcg

I have had damp issues in my place for a while and have had enough of just covering it up so thought I'd tackle it. It's a Victorian two up two down jobbie with a single story extension on the back where the kitchen and bathroom are. Every room has two external walls.

The two exterior corners have been effected by penetrating damp due to old guttering and slipped roof tiles. I striped the lining paper which pulled a some plaster off with it to expose the internal brick so I have now removed all internal blown plaster which runs down the majority of the walls on both stories. I'm assuming the penetrative damp has also caused condensation problems that the central heating and lack of ventalation have enabled. Am I right in assuming this? I stuck a dehumidifier in the top room for a couple of days and then downstairs while I replaced the facia and guttering entirely and have repaired the dodgy roof slates. I used Thomson's sealant on the external brick work which in not sure I should have???? The walls have all stayed bone dry so I'm pretty confident that the water has stopped coming in. I was going to unibond the brick followed by renovating plaster and a lime finish initially but now am thinking that maybe a insulating layer is needed. The rooms are fairly small as it is so I don't want to loose much more space. I'm confused about whether to use a hemp lime mix or an insulated board or not to insulate at all? The more I look into it the more confused I become. I was also told to use vandex?

Another issue I discovered today was a rising damp problem. There are air bricks downstairs but inbetween two of them is a big damp patch that appeared on the external brick with the rain. It has already come through to the internal plaster and skirting board. There has been I dpc injected in the past that i'm assuming has failed in this on area. Is reinjecting the answer or is an external render plynth the way or something completely different?
I want to stay true to the property and sort this problem properly and not have to do it twice and not just cover it up although that maybe easier said than done.
Cheers Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.