Pebbledash - cover or remove

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuff4jas

Can anyone give me some advice with regard to the above.
Im building an extension on my house which at present it is covered in pebble dash, the side and back will be covered by the new build but the front will remain as original.
Ive tried removing some of the dash but it is rock solid so was wondering if it was best to keep plugging away and get it removed or cover it over and match it to the new extension covering.
If i was to do the latter whats the best render/covering for the new extension thats built with concrete bocks?
Hope that all makes sense.
Cheers

Hard with out seeing it , best job would be to hack it off . I know its a horrible job but always best back to brickwork and start fresh , as what you put on top is only as good as whats under it . Hope this helps , do you have a renderer yet ? If not put where abouts you are theres plenty decent lads on here to advise you after a visit to the job

Clean it down with wire brush!,you could power wash ! then paint on a solution of SBR AND OPC CEMENT ! and when tacky render a scratch coat on !! ready to receive butter coat and dash IMO :)

When a customer tells me they want it hacked off and its hard, can't do is not an option. But when the owner has to take it off then there needs to be some other way!

Weird how one man has no choice but another has a choice?

Any way rant over.

Taking it back to brick when it is rock hard and fused to the brick can cause more harm than good and if it is that hard and stuck then don't worry about it. If you do then be worried about the cement between your bricks and foundations. That is just as old.

The top coat is always the easiest to take off, it is weaker than the base coat. Go back to the base coat the one with scratch lines in it. Then after you have decided what render you are having get advice off here as to what preparation you need to make your chosen render stick.

Like said sbr is ok for sand and cement or the render manufacturers will have a suitable base render that will adhere to your old cement.

Glass fibre mesh coat on top of old pebble dash.
then topped with render.

Done a few old houses for a large plastering company.

Not the nicest of jobs.

But looks well when finished.

Depends if it is painted or not. If not then it will need cleaning back to sound. Plenty of sticky base coats around but maybe pin the mesh back as well?

Cheers for the replies from everyone, 1st time on the forum and very grateful for all the advice.
If the best job is taking it all off then I don't mind getting stuck in, my only concern was the damage to the bricks underneath as the dash is stuck on so well.
The top coat is coming off easier so that could be an option of taking just the top coat off.
What's the best process to cover the old base coat and the new block work, I'm after a smooth or slightly textures finish in white.

I'm in bingley west yorks if anyone can recommend a good renderer/finisher in the area.
Cheers

www.rendermeister.co.uk is up your way. Mickeyboy on here I think? scrogs on here is up your way I think. Both have good names in West Yorkshire. One is Weber the other Parex.

Sounds like you are wanting Monocouche. Straight forward enough. Straight onto your blocks on a pre rend on the existing. Weber will want 7 newton block minimum.

Just seen this thread, cheers rigsby your right we are only 5 mile down the road. Either myself or rendermeister can have a look at it for you and advise the best way forward. If you want to pm me your details I'll give you a call.

I have a customer who wants weber monocouch ontop of a dashed extension and gable end, only on 20 years and sound.
Would anyone recommend sbr and lay on top of dash?
Cheers in advance

Cheers for the replies from everyone, 1st time on the forum and very grateful for all the advice.
If the best job is taking it all off then I don't mind getting stuck in, my only concern was the damage to the bricks underneath as the dash is stuck on so well.
The top coat is coming off easier so that could be an option of taking just the top coat off.
What's the best process to cover the old base coat and the new block work, I'm after a smooth or slightly textures finish in white.

I'm in bingley west yorks if anyone can recommend a good renderer/finisher in the area.
Cheers
Hi bud i cant do it myself but i can pm you the number of my mate who lives in leeds hes good i taught him!:RpS_thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.