pebble dash problem

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnc

pebble dash problems???????
hi all, my first post as a new member,,my names steve and i trade as jnc,,ive been plastering years on n off like most, ive hit a problem whilt dry dashing,, ive just dashed two houses in yellow spar on a buff background,, the first is great like all my previous, then my suppliers changed there dash supplier,,ive just dashed 3 walls and the third one you can stroke your hand over the wall an all the dash comes off the other two are fine,, was wondering if anyone else had this problem,,,was thinking should i wash it first,,all the coatings are fine,,just the dash comes off in sweeps,,any ideas,,cheers guys, steve

welcome along Steve, there's a few dashers on here. sure one will be along soon enough :RpS_thumbup:

Could have done with a wash maybe but I'd be surprised if it was dusty dash, seems to point at that one wall, maybe your lab didn't mix it right/missed something out of the mix (they won't tell you if they have you know) and welcome along :RpS_thumbup:

thanks bubbles,, good point,, but i always have my boys mix by buckets so i can see what ratios there mixing by the amount of cement bags and i also use a measure jug for the freeflo,,ive had dusty dash before but it never came off like this does,,,,,,

Could be you have let the buttercoat go in too much, thereby not allowing the stone to bed/key to the render properly. Though this usually means that no stone will key straightaway.

Could be a combo, of gear skinning over too quick, dry dusty dash, not thrown hard enough, background sucking the life out of mortar too quick etc

when we dashed the wall hung lovely it didn suck in or skin over,,took the dash lovely,good coverage,,hardly had to work the wall at all,,,im thinking it may be the dash needs washing,,it was a little damp from the bag and maybe it was too wet to see it was too dusty,,its stumped me

if the coat was too tight or dry then the stones would have bounced off like you said, did you go along and push them in atfer? with your hawk face, i do this, but if its still falling out then the only odd ball to have changed was the stone supply as you also said, so id be asking these guys if they wash their stones !!

Either not a thick enough coat or dusty pebbles, they could still stick if its to thin but soon as they are rubbed they drop out as not bedded right in ?

normally i dont tend to go along with my hawk to push stone in,, but with this stone i may have to do that, my stone was damp not wet,,,the terms dry dash mean dry,,not mixed with a cement mix, ive damped my stone before in the summer months and never had this problem,,so pass,, all my coats,cement,admix, have all been the same as before and never had this problem,,,,,,,,,any of you guys used this new rugby premiun cement,,,

If the stone is wet it will fall out too, I thought dry dashing was done with dry stone

My old man taught me to always wash the stone (although this was never bagged), let it drain but use it before it was actually dry.
If the stones were dusty you should be able to see bits of dust left behind where it has come away.

Sounds to me that there's a prob with the stone rather than your method. Using ur hawk to bed stones in is a good idea and makes wall look flatter.
U shouldn't have to wash stone, that's supplier job!

My old man taught me to always wash the stone (although this was never bagged), let it drain but use it before it was actually dry.
If the stones were dusty you should be able to see bits of dust left behind where it has come away.
But soaking wet stones are a fail also,

Ideally the stones should be damp as opposed to wet, If they're too wet they will fk the receiver coat and just roll down the wall. Also if they're too dry they will just bounce off. I've never pushed them in with a handboard or anything but if I thought it was necessary I would probably try a roller................

I always wash my stone and never had any probs ,also use a big poly float to gently push the stones in. Could it of been affected by weather ie wind dryed it to quick or not covered from frost?

is it the wall thats out of the sun thats coming off,as it sounds like the frost as got to it before the stones had chance to stick

sounds like no water repellant in the scratch coat... then thin level coat combined with dusty pebbles... but even dusty pebbles go into a wet level coat.... check the water repellant... never trust labourers... fill the water butt up uourself and add the repellant

beader,,i think youve hit the nail on the head matey,,weve been to site today and this one wall out of three is on the side to an alley,,whence we dashed it it was dry and nice,,today it was like a rolls royce wind tunnel,, we didn cover because we never do as we dont dash in inclement weather,, we ve all decided the wind must of got up when we left and dried it all to quick before time setting,,it still has me miffed,, why now after 20 yrs,,just goes to show boys that most of us can plaster better than the majority but it can still come back to bite you,,in all the plastering ive done over the years i believe dashing is the best art,,and this van goff just got caught out,,,cheers lads,,i appeciate all your comments and time,,cheers steve,,

Status
Not open for further replies.