pay for a coarse or pay a plasterer for experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbieb

hi my names robbie
really keen to change my career to plastering.iv been reading alot about the best way to achieve that.although im finding it a bit of a mine field.iv been looking into maybe doin a 4 week coarse.iv read a few threads on here with people praising them.iv also heard them get slated!just want some views please.would i be better seeing if a plasterer could teach me for money?
manty thanks....

hi my names robbie
really keen to change my career to plastering.iv been reading alot about the best way to achieve that.although im finding it a bit of a mine field.iv been looking into maybe doin a 4 week coarse.iv read a few threads on here with people praising them.iv also heard them get slated!just want some views please.would i be better seeing if a plasterer could teach me for money?
manty thanks....

The best change of career will provide you with work . Entering the plastering trade at the moment is similar to joining the acting profession: there is not enough work for all the players. Actors take up the role because they love the profession and get disillusioned later. This could happen to you, getting disillusioned later.
In my view the easiest change of occupation to plasterer is from plasterers- labourer to plasterer, there must be thousands that have done it over the years.
Why not be different and alter your approach? Tell the forum where you live, maybe provide a bit more information and ask if there is anybody for whom you can work as a dogsbody or slave in an unpaid way at convenient times so that you can get flavour of what plastering is about?
Ask yourself can you avoid the make or break situation, such as giving up one job to try to enter another area of employment- if you can get a taste of plastering without the loss of your present job?
This forum responds well to well-mannered and informative posts from people who want help and can take the trouble to present their views in an understandable way. Mobile text-speak and the use of the language from planet Zog does not get a favourable response.
Good luck

General concensus would probably be your wasting money on a four week course as i probably wont learn you that much and strating as a lab gives you a taste of whats its like as you might find its not for you. Steve has so good pointers and lilhards just condensed it for you. abit like that four week course.........:RpS_thumbup:

At present even if you picked the trowel up and started out on your own, You would be a small fish swimming with great whites. Learn the trade mate it will stand you in good stead for the future boom in 2015.

It takes years to learn properly mate you would spend a fortune paying a plasterer plus the plasterer you're working for needs to earn money himself, the courses will show you how to do it but again are expensive and plastering I swear on my kids lives is all about doing it and teaching yourself it's you're money if it was me I'd get into dry lining or tape jointing it's easier to pick up

At present even if you picked the trowel up and started out on your own, You would be a small fish swimming with great whites. Learn the trade mate it will stand you in good stead for the future boom in 2015.

2015 you know something we don't lol

Like any career it takes time and dedication to achieve any sort of goal so if you think it will be a quick way to earn good money you are mistaken, but if you have 3-5 years to practice to get up to standard then go for it mate, but in that time you will only be earning a labourers wage which in all fairness is sometimes better than a plasterers wage at the moment.

you got a few mates in number 10 or somet......... i cant wait that long so can you ask them to fast track the boom to errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr august this year please :RpS_thumbsup:

these guys talk sense pal! i did a 2 year course at tec to start my life as a plasterer, i worked weekends for free doing rooms for friends and family so i could get time on the trowel! 8 years later my one man band plastering firm is going great guns! you got to be in it for the skill and not the cash at the beginning!

Do a weeks course mate, lots of places out there offering a good insight and basic grounding, this will either whet your apetite to continue or have the opposite effect, if you can get in with someone then do it, you will come on leaps and bounds, confidence being the main issue, i did this 9 years ago and havent looked back, do everything now from rebuildind inglenook fireplaces, all plastering and stencil tech applications. hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.