Patching Black Mortar

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Col27

Hi guys

My names Colin. Ive been on here for a few years believe it or not but rarely come on here. I just skim on the weekends when i get it! My work is usually just skim artex, painted walls also one box room black mortar skim over. Thats a bit about myself lol! As mentioned,ive skimmed black mortar but never repaired/patched it. Can i get away with bond coating the areas that need patching?

Many thanks Col

Sorry i didnt explain myself clearly lol. The areas which have blown are showing brick work with black mortar perps!

Thank u guys. When i skimmed the last black mortar job, i put 6 coats of pva on it to play it safe. Do u think thats a bit of an over kill? As in, 4 coats would of been fine?

yes thats a bit of an over kill, 4 coats is more than enough,, i would not even give it 4 coats

Im pricing the job tomorrow for one of the boys in work. He said the house was built in 1920 and he wants the whole house done eventually, bonus! original lath n mortar ceilings which are staying up because in very good nick (apparently). also original curved wooden beading! Could be a long term project. Ill keep u boys posted

Col

Hi Colin welcome to the forum from 2010 :RpS_thumbup:

Good luck with the 1920 carrot job mate & yes 6 coats of pva is fine 6-8 for this type of work is normal practice some may joke 2-4 coats lol what are they like eh :RpS_biggrin:,

If the walls are downstairs then there may be a damp issue which is popping the render.1920's solid walls.if so don't do bonding,sand n cement,then skim.

Hiya guys
I got the job and like my mate said it is in decent nick to be fare, but.... in the one room the reveals on the bay window is f'd half way up and one side of the return of chimney breast roughly half way. So the nxt question. Do i put the beading up whilst bonding is tacky and tack the rest of beading with plaster as normal? Or do u lads have a trick up your sleeves?! Ive got another full house to price up tomorrow eve for the wifes mate, f'ing mental. Its either all or bugger all lol
cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.