Paste on Walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas

Sometimes i find that when a customer has used a steamer to strip wallpaper, especially on silk walls, there is paste left on the walls.
You cant notice it until you have glued the walls, and its all rubbery and the glue takes ages to get tacky.
Also the plastering time is more than doubled, as the plaster takes too long to pull in and stiffen up.

I have tried warm soapy water on these surfaces first to get rid of the paste, but it doesn't work very well.

Any suggestions?

Hmmm.
Wickes bonding agent but if you only find it when you've put the pva on I'd say it's a bit late. Wouldn't have thought it'd cause any problems later tho.
Think I'd just go with it.
Do you put a coat on and let it dry then a second to go tacky?

Hmmm.
Wickes bonding agent but if you only find it when you've put the pva on I'd say it's a bit late. Wouldn't have thought it'd cause any problems later tho.
Think I'd just go with it.
Do you put a coat on and let it dry then a second to go tacky?

On a surface like this?

After the glue goes tacky, after a million hours, i get my first coat on (multi) and let it sit for a good while.
When its going off, i take the lines out, and straighten it. (as much as possible for a first coat)
When its pretty much hard, i get my second coat on, and wait till thats pulled in a bit too.
Take the lines out, Blah blah blah....
Polish with wet trowel and brush, then finish with final rub on the damp trowel alone:)

P.s. Whats the difference with Wickes bonding agent, and pva? :-[

Wickes stuff is polymer based not water. It forms a seal over the top whereas (IMHO) the pva mixes with the paste and takes ages to go off.
Just a thought but it's the way I'd go.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.