paint pealing

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordster

Chaps, just had a look at a job a mate did and when the plaster had been painted the top coat of paint was pulling off the base coat. Apparently the plaster had a few weeks to dry out so it wasn't wet at all. I'm assuming that the base coat of paint wasn't watered down enough and therfore has not soaked into the plaster but effectively sat on top and therefore will get pulled away with the top coat.

The only other thing I can think is that too much spray has been used to trowel off the finish and therefore left a fine layer of watery plaster?

Any suggestions why this has happened and also if there's a quick fix to rectify the problem. The finish is really good but the painting issue is not helping.

Thanks,

Jord

aslong as youve prepped it right......used bondit/skimmed it while the pva's tacky etc it could have been the painted surface you reskimmed over.........if it was painted .....dont quote me on it but i think if the paints slightly oil based the top coat can pull.............skyzoos the man to ask
just read the bit about a watery finish ..........if the walls full of fat the roller will peel it off mate

rough bastid ;D

It sounds like a bad case of cissing to me mate .

cissing is caused when paint doesnt adhere to a surface usually caused by oil or painting emulsion over gloss paints etc.....but it can also come from over polishing plaster.if u try to paint over a shiny surface and there is no adhesion.
best to lightly sand with wet and dry sand paper (wet) 40 grit.
then apply a stabilising solution.
then re emulsion with 2 coats.
leave al least 6 hrs between coats.
Sorted.

which is peeling again? the top coat(s) of paint or the mist coat?
never mist coat with silk paint, watered down or not.. use matt emulsion..
new paint layers separating? never seen that one, new paint peeling off the plaster...bad mist coat/dusty finish?
maybe thats it? mist coat with silk paint?
ive seen new silk bubble when applied to old silk... not a good look.... put it down to the wall being completely sealed?
maybe applying a coat of slightly watered down matt before applying the top coat might get you out the sh't but dont quote me on that... try a hairdryer on the base coat, if it comes off youre laffin and can start again, if it doesnt just pretend you know what youre doing anyway?

Nice one - I've just found out that the owners used "fresh to plaster" paint and not a normal watered down matt which is what I always suggest to my customers.

Will pass on the advise though - many thanks!!

Jord

We normally advise customers to use Leyland Super Leytex paint, its the dogs b*ll***s, its a high opacity paint for new plaster. we have tried watering down paint, "sizeing" watering down PVA to seal the plaster, cheap emulsion etc. Its all crap. Two coats of Super Leytex and it looks great, no patching or shading. Its no dearer than the crap from B&Q etc and will give a great finish after 2 coats. ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.