Opinions on this van please.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
We dont often carry more than 20 boards and the fella said that the difference between the 85ps and the 100ps was only a ecu map??

Looks canny marra................:RpS_thumbup:. the biggest bonus is it aint gypo white...:RpS_wink:

85s are piss poor performance wise, as said .look at a 110ps minimum. on an old van like that aswell, the performance is prob around 60

its got a 2.2 diesel engine in it and only knocking out 85bhp I would get it remapped tp 115bhp and you'll be flying in it. probably so low on performance cos it was a council van. They're not known for producing much work those council blokes

He did say it was ex council, might have been Kiddeminster...can't remember.

5 years old, 7k miles a year. Does that sound fishy?

On the plus side Danny, it's a ford. They are built like Lego. Easy to maintain and service yourself, parts are cheap and very easy to get hold of. Not sure what the mpg are like but I'd imagine you'd get mid 30's takin it steady.

In the past vauxhall have let me down.

Mileage is good though.

its got a 2.2 diesel engine in it and only knocking out 85bhp I would get it remapped tp 115bhp and you'll be flying in it.

Is it possible to safely go that high with them?

Do the 85ps versions have the same turbos and engine internals as the 115ps, is it just a case of a remap?

ive never had any of mine remaped because it voids the warranty. ive got 2 that are both 110ps[a 125ps on the way 6speed] after owning 85s and the performance difference is a lot .mpg aint much different for me mid 30's

pretty certain for the remap to get the proppa performance involves changing injectors which arent cheap. dont hold me to that tho. wouldnt go through the hassel tho that van isnt so cheap that it warrants buying it then remapping it when you can buy a 110ps for same money

ive never had any of mine remaped because it voids the warranty. ive got 2 that are both 110ps[a 125ps on the way 6speed] after owning 85s and the performance difference is a lot .mpg aint much different for me mid 30's

Food for thought, wonder how much a safe remap is?

A lot of the 110ps one I saw were more miles for the same money...like 50k miles more. Probably more sought after?

Get it and remap it. The warranty is out now anyway and some of the remap companies will give you a warranty against component failure. Our local Ford van centre sends new vans to a local remap company that warrants the map. Go to your local Pendle Performance agent, they are one of the best.

pretty certain for the remap to get the proppa performance involves changing injectors which arent cheap. dont hold me to that tho. wouldnt go through the hassel tho that van isnt so cheap that it warrants buying it then remapping it when you can buy a 110ps for same money

You just chip/ remap the ecu. u dont need to change the injectors or owt like that. Some remapping device just plug in and you can remove them when you sell the van on and put it in another van

Get it and remap it. The warranty is out now anyway and some of the remap companies will give you a warranty against component failure. Our local Ford van centre sends new vans to a local remap company that warrants the map. Go to your local Pendle Performance agent, they are one of the best.

can/do all ford van dealers do this, do you know?

Some of the other engines I have modified have needed fuel pumps, colder burning plugs, cats removed, larger bore injectors ( depending on duty), bigger exhausts and intakes, aswell as the remap.

Having said that, Ive never modified a diesel engine and don't know how they work.

Remap will cost between £250 and £300. It will increase the torque which is more important than bhp in a diesel. you'll find yourself in a higher gear round town so the engine is revving less, giving more mpg. If you have a power remap and drive it hard, your mpg will go down. Expect about 30% more power. Do not be tempted to buy a cheap plug in tunung box off Ebay as these only fool your ECU to deliver more fuel to the injectors. A good remap compamy will read the current map, then tailor a new map to your reqwuirements. One thing though, if your van goes in for a service at a main dealer and has an ECU update, you will lose the remap, but the remappers should reinstall it for about £50.

maybe get ridiculed for this but you sure you want to buy a transit yeah some parts are cheap but the majority of the bits that go are not for example the dual mass fly wheel and clutch assembly will cost you an absolute fortune when it goes and believe me it will deff go on you, the old transits ran forever with little problem they have over engineered some parts on them now that have caused nothing but problems the clutch being one example the other being the egr valve, just have a look on the transit forums to see how many people are complaining about these now, saying all that when they are working and looked after they are good work horses

Found out today that this one has had an engine replacement or major works done on it!!! At 45k miles too. It was done a month ago and has only done 150 miles since.

No way am I keeping it now, they can have it back and give me a right one. The saleman said he didn't know about it....yeah alright. :rolleyes)

Talking to a few mechanics today and they say the engines are very week on the post 2006 transits, like you say Peter.

Thinking about a long wheelbase Vito instead, any opinions on these??

This one. Mercedes-Benz Vito 109 CDI LONG (2009) - Van Monster

i cnt remember whats wrong with the vitos but a friend of mine has one and has nothing but problems with it scince day one, a few people have told me that after 2006 the tranny lost its way a bit a fella i sub off had a 58 plate and after about 8 months the engin blew up haha i only laff because at the time i had a 54 tranny and he kept turning up at jobs saying to me "ill just stick the air con on" and showing off his new tranny saying mine was a dinosaur, then wen his mate told me hed broke down i rang him with the sound of my engine starting and just said "mines working fine pal"

never had a problem with any transit ive ever had [im on my 6th] i have 2 vans at the moment on 2009 plates , owned them both since new, no issues.
depends how long you have them,i tend to get rid after about 3-4 years,as the tax benefits of having a new van and the warranty,now make running around in old vans crackers.

maybe get ridiculed for this but you sure you want to buy a transit yeah some parts are cheap but the majority of the bits that go are not for example the dual mass fly wheel and clutch assembly will cost you an absolute fortune when it goes and believe me it will deff go on you, the old transits ran forever with little problem they have over engineered some parts on them now that have caused nothing but problems the clutch being one example the other being the egr valve, just have a look on the transit forums to see how many people are complaining about these now, saying all that when they are working and looked after they are good work horses

Funny you should say that. I had a VW Transporter and i traded it in because the dual mass flywheel was on its way oot at 67,000 miles. Oh. the side door fell off a few weeks before that lol My 09 Transit 140 is currently on 46,000 miles and full dealer serviced. Just flew through the MOT at dealers. Great vans!

im not sure what i make of the new tranny i would love to get one once shes driving then i can get rid of the truck and have car and van seperate but ive herd alot of bad things about the newer ones, but then again i spose theres goin to be horror stories about anything you buy, whatever it is someones had one that broke

Got this in the end. :)

20120922123518.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.