opinions on future of ewi???

Status
Not open for further replies.

zombie

Private Member
Hi Chaps

Out of curiosity if you wasn't already heavily involved in the ewi world would you think that it is still worth pursuing as a traditional plasterer? Or has/will it fizzle out do you think along with solar panels etc?

Thanks Zombie

every tower block in the country has to have an insulation system to bring it up to the required standard.
there is a lot of work to complete a system, for the amount of work entailed the pay is to low, there is no money left in ewi.
full of eastern europeans. ewi is full of middlemen and other non producers sucking the money off.
there is more money to be made as a domestic plasterer.

every tower block in the country has to have an insulation system to bring it up to the required standard.
there is a lot of work to complete a system, for the amount of work entailed the pay is to low, there is no money left in ewi.
full of eastern europeans. ewi is full of middlemen and other non producers sucking the money off.
there is more money to be made as a domestic plasterer.

such a shame realy malc...thought this market would be a welcome way to increase directly and indirectly plastering rates...oh well!!!

such a shame realy malc...thought this market would be a welcome way to increase directly and indirectly plastering rates...oh well!!!

you do not have to be a plasterer to be an ewi operative.
we use to spend every winter, from october till april carrying out ewi for london and essex councils. the targets are to tight now and you can earn more money with less effort.

you do not have to be a plasterer to be an ewi operative.
we use to spend every winter, from october till april carrying out ewi for london and essex councils. the targets are to tight now and you can earn more money with less effort.

Fair one mate...Thankfully everyone seems to be pretty busy this year I've found I think its certainly turned a corner. Personally im hoping to remain busy next year whilst trying to increase rates slightly then should be on for a decent year fingers crossed.:RpS_thumbsup:

In Ireland it has already seen a decline due to a number of reasons such as polish undercutting everyone and bring in cheap labour and materials,to many systems,to many contractors and lot of them dont know how to price not relising the amount of work involved.

Yeah I have to say I think the prices will tumble like they have done with skimming...

But there is still money to be made :)

In Ireland it has already seen a decline due to a number of reasons such as polish undercutting everyone and bring in cheap labour and materials,to many systems,to many contractors and lot of them dont know how to price not relising the amount of work involved.
The ewi has been in Poland for years and years,, every house has it and every other building

Always wanted to get my mothers house done in Laois, old farm house building with wet dash..

private landlords and home owners have snubbed the green deal . Who the feck wants to pay for that through the meter with gas prices going through the roof.

Out here in these parts there used to be a lot of money in ext.insulation systems, here they refer to it as EIFS (exterior insulation & finish system), everybody had to go through the training or they wouldn't sell you the materials. Contractors were making loads of money off it and then a few jobs started having moisture problems, improper flashings, badly sealed windows, no way for moisture to exit the wall, mold, on and on.... Pretty soon building owners were talking to their lawyers and they had a great heyday suing general & sub contractors for millions of dollars. Put a lot of plastering companies out of business here. Business Insurance went sky high for anybody that was doing EFIS so most legitimate contractors able to afford the proper insurance were the only contractors working on large buildings. Smaller jobs seem to be getting done by unlicensed uninsured "contractors" who use a lot of those same eastern european 'undocumented guests' that were mentioned in above comments. I worked on some of the original jobs when it was first introduced into the Seattle area and continued to work on some until I went into business for myself. From then on I've mostly stayed with traditional plastering and I've avoided those lawsuits that took out a lot of the group around here. I think as with anything time tests all these new materials and EFIS has been out long enough now that most of it's problems have been identified and I see they all have made some corrections in their applications. I see the system being around for a long time, as mentioned above it can be done using people with a lot less skill than traditional plasters need to have. Being a traditional type of plasterer myself I look at buildings with EIFS on them and get a picture in my head of something that is a temporary structure.

My nephew works for a plumbing firm in gypsy hill and they are doing a green deal thing and apparently are flat out, I don't know much else about it just that not many are accredited for it

Always wanted to get my mothers house done in Laois, old farm house building with wet dash..
nice part of the country john , earned the best money ever across the road from the prison in portlaois , had some great craic there with a lad who had worked as a screeded in london with some of the old firms I worked with, he went back to laois to started up again after making his money with property , lovely bloke , sorry to say he died not long after going back , nice folk in laois.

nice part of the country john , earned the best money ever across the road from the prison in portlaois , had some great craic there with a lad who had worked as a screeded in london with some of the old firms I worked with, he went back to laois to started up again after making his money with property , lovely bloke , sorry to say he died not long after going back , nice folk in laois.
I am 3mile from the prison. Used to be a main employer along with the hospital, very quiet area.i am out of it since 87

Then bring on referendum and get out of Europe then us Brits have decent jobs and kick foreigners out
2.2 million Brits in Europe, not sure if they work or are retired or on benefits, the biggest foreign benefit taker in Ireland are British born,but saying that there are great people in this country too

There will still be ewi. But eco will bssically turn for the more cheaper options like lofts and boilers first. So all depends what funding contractors secure to how much work they can do or go through green deal.
Warrior is the man for opinion in this at the mo.. i pulled out ewi months ago

as you know i did hundreds of houses last year all over the UK and even with big runs of properties to get out these were mainly small terraces with 20M2 frontage with 3 windows and a door in so lots of under 300 work to do.. the ba$tards wont pay for this and knock the windows and doors off the measure... im out of it now its not worth the hassle... last job i priced up was at cramlington new accident and emergency hospital.. 700 million pound building... and all curved listen here to the specification the wanted... done for £20 per m2
1. 3-4 story building done off scissor lifts... no scaffold 14,000 M2
2. every wall curved (tight curves made up from threepenny bit shaped pods)
3. Dryvit system so all back wrappped
4. fire breaks at every lift
5. full system horizontal expansion joints at every level (all back wrapped and backer rods and mastic)
6. cant hand rasp for dust so had to provide own power vacuum rasps £1000 each
7. 35 week time scale with massive penalty clause
8. that's 400 m2 per week finished systems off scissor lifts

£20 per M2 bye bye... c ya... aufwiedersen tarra.. good bye

PS A dry lining company got the job

as you know i did hundreds of houses last year all over the UK and even with big runs of properties to get out these were mainly small terraces with 20M2 frontage with 3 windows and a door in so lots of under 300 work to do.. the ba$tards wont pay for this and knock the windows and doors off the measure... im out of it now its not worth the hassle... last job i priced up was at cramlington new accident and emergency hospital.. 700 million pound building... and all curved listen here to the specification the wanted... done for £20 per m2
1. 3-4 story building done off scissor lifts... no scaffold 14,000 M2
2. every wall curved (tight curves made up from threepenny bit shaped pods)
3. Dryvit system so all back wrappped
4. fire breaks at every lift
5. full system horizontal expansion joints at every level (all back wrapped and backer rods and mastic)
6. cant hand rasp for dust so had to provide own power vacuum rasps £1000 each
7. 35 week time scale with massive penalty clause
8. that's 400 m2 per week finished systems off scissor lifts

£20 per M2 bye bye... c ya... aufwiedersen tarra.. good bye

PS A dry lining company got the job

Who got the job then??

They seem to be chucking the hospital up canny quick like................have they got the internals as well with them being a dry lining outfit?

just had a drive up there coming on very slowly they have put about 1000 m2 of eps on... no base coat and i cant see any backwrapping on the windows :(

Ewi is finished...I was to start a job in crewe.. On Monday morning the funding was pulled ..over 30 houses scaffolded have to be took down...has the pot run dry?...

Yep , we just got our funding extended by another 50 house on our existing scheme and just bid on another 1500 for a council scheme , so there is something out there

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

weve got a decent size scheme starting in march, that has been partly funded by the EU 2020 scheme, so theres money about.

Status
Not open for further replies.