Oldest plasterer

True about the older spreads having labourers. I am 60 but only put on. I have 'others' do the rest. No lifting anymore, and I am keen on cleaning up but never touch a brush or shovel.

I have my job the labs have theirs.

Working smart :D

I sometimes work with an old boy in his 70's.
He just cant keep away!
He's a big lad too. I certainly wouldn't want to take a punch from him.

Old school plasterers had dedicated labourers doing all the mixing, lifting, cleaning. I think that's how they kept going so long. Our generation do a lot more in terms of all round graft so we're going f**k*d earlier. IMO.
There were no mixers years ago. Bath rake,stick ,podger. Plus you had to scrim up your hessian and cotton scrim with a bucket of gear before you started. Then there were all the planks to set out to get a gauge of ceilings on. You needed a labourer then. Don't know your born these days.

What age is the oldest plasterer you know?.I know one man he's 62 and most young lads would'nt lace his boots.Great man with sand and cement whistling away to himself all day.
68 coming. But his eye sights going, tbh his skimming is rough and has been for a few years. Beading not great either. Haven't worked with him since left old boss. He had started to wind down for a few years, smaller sets etc but in his late 50s early 60s he'd have horsed a good bit on.

There were no mixers years ago. Bath rake,stick ,podger. Plus you had to scrim up your hessian and cotton scrim with a bucket of gear before you started. Then there were all the planks to set out to get a gauge of ceilings on. You needed a labourer then. Don't know your born these days.
Fair points but when the room was scaffed out for a ceiling it's a hell of a lot easier than running round after a hop up.

What age is the oldest plasterer you know?.I know one man he's 62 and most young lads would'nt lace his boots.Great man with sand and cement whistling away to himself all day.
Not many of those men left in the world mate treasure your experiences with that man big respect to any man at the age of 62 still grafting away.
My friend who I do a bit of work with is the same age and he is a machine

I work regularly with a guy who is 63. Still keeps up with guys 1/2 his age easily. I used to work with a guy who was 84 at the time and still running stilts. I think he's 86 now and still at it last I heard. Something about plaster dust keeps em young. This is the only trade I know of that has old timers regularly working circles around the kids.
84 and still working off stilts??
Jesus Christ I think you need to contact the Guinness book of records for that one..
Fair play to the fella..:)

Old school plasterers had dedicated labourers doing all the mixing, lifting, cleaning. I think that's how they kept going so long. Our generation do a lot more in terms of all round graft so we're going f**k*d earlier. IMO.
They also used to hand ball off two twelve ton loads one after the other with us labourers and the bags were twice as heavy as they are now so don’t think they had it easy

I know 2 brothers 69 and 75 they still at it doing bungalows and extensions fair play to them they tip away at there own pace and are very tidy .if I'm still plastering at 75 someone needs to shoot me please

I know 2 brothers 69 and 75 they still at it doing bungalows and extensions fair play to them they tip away at there own pace and are very tidy .if I'm still plastering at 75 someone needs to shoot me please

Yeah I wont be around at 75 :D

I did an Alpine job with an old mate of mine the other week he’s 79 years old
E4DDC507-1245-4A16-BB35-2C5700C1FE09.jpeg
47398457-9CCF-4571-B2F5-E2F2B898D5D8.jpeg
9C7CD7F4-4BBE-43CC-B90A-0E881479DA39.jpeg
CF4608BA-878A-449C-B645-2311E76BCD1F.jpeg

Never done alpine before. Whats the process of that? sand and cement smooth render as undercoat. Thin layer of alpine troweled over it? Mixed in buckets? 2 coat? one coat? Looks neat like