old wooden corner beads

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy parko,!! Its all about opinions marra,:). Flynnymarras post ended with lol so don't bite

if covering timber beads i always use thick coat render angles, only ever hadhad probs using thin coats.

Thick coat render beads ?? Wtf thought u were jus skimmin the walls yad have to float them , plus how does it luk on ur skirting if there's any left ?? Take then out wot mess ?? And if ur worried about half the wall falling off the plaster must be shagged already !! In which case take it all off and board ?? Cowboy in and out job money and run

i think we have all experienced problems leaving beads on no matter if we have used neat pva and scrim. reading comments ive never thought about taking them off but i will b now good advice from the forum cheers

A wooden corner bead is mmmm a piece of wood on an external corner ,I think if its pva'd and scrimmed and beaded it will be fine.

A wooden corner bead is mmmm a piece of wood on an external corner ,I think if its pva'd and scrimmed and beaded it will be fine.

wood expands in colder weather so it will crack, unless you normally skim over wood i wouldnt bother unless youve been asked for a crack by the customer ;)

In my experience it's moisture that make these beads move. Once the plaster has dried, and the bead has done it's moving, it generally wont crack again unless there are damp problems.

Each to their own, but I scrim the wood, bead, then scrim the bead wings. I staple the beads using the outer holes in an attempt to miss the wood with the staples.

never seen one, in my 15 years as a spread hmmm someone got a pic, i might just not have known it was a bead lol and skimmed over one.

They are very hit and miss! I've done alsorts to stop them cracking out.
Pva, sbr, double scrimmed,scrimmed over the wings of the new bead goin over the wooden bead. Some times they've cracked, sometimes they've not:RpS_unsure: some cracked with in a couple of days, others a week or two later??:RpS_mad:
I just take the feckin things out now! Save myself comebacks.

yes taking them off is best !! but there is another way if the original plaster is solid ? make sure you pva well ,mix up some drywall adhesive to the same consistancy as skim then cover the wooden joints in paper tape (soak the paper tape first) after an hour bead then apply a fibre scrim ....that will take some cracking ......

yes taking them off is best !! but there is another way if the original plaster is solid ? make sure you pva well ,mix up some drywall adhesive to the same consistancy as skim then cover the wooden joints in paper tape (soak the paper tape first) after an hour bead then apply a fibre scrim ....that will take some cracking ......

LOL it would be quicker to take it off and cheaper by the sounds of it.

LOL it would be quicker to take it off and cheaper by the sounds of it.
I did say take them off for the best ?but paper tape is very strong !try ripping a piece of paper by pulling it apart ? those who are time served of us know what i mean !

Dunno why people want to get rid of wooden beads anyway. We have kept all of the ones in our house to retain character and they look fab, especially the curved ones in the bedroom that follow the chimney brest.
If I were sad enough to want modern ones in I would take them out completely and set in new ones.

then you know i favour taking the timber off ? but as an alternative i gave an option and it works ! better than scrim alone ? no magic potion just a cosmetic fix ? its up to people if they want to try it ?

Oh my god dont believe I'm hearing this saw cut top an bottom
Job done
Take em out like flynny said this I is just basics I'm sure if there was a piece of wood left on awall you wouldnt scrim over it

You should take them out really but sometimes it can pull the plaster off the side of the chimney breast and when you tell the customer its going to cost more money they don't always like it!! I've often scrimmed it first then put bead on then scrimmed the bead. Never had a problem

Latest thing I've tried is running masking tape down the wooden bead, so it covers it and the joint.
I also pva, then scrim over the thin coat bead wings. Not had any crack yet.

I warn customers anyway, there is always some risks skimming old walls and they may have to do some minimal filling.

Status
Not open for further replies.