Old victorian skirting - New flooring

Members online

GrantyBoy

Moving in to my new place next week and want to put hardwood or a thick laminate in the living room. Only issue it's all been plastered and painted and the old original skirtings are massive and I don't really want to rip them up. What would you do? fit that horrible scotia beading or bite the bullet and rip the old skirting off? Try and undercut?

Any other options?

Moving in to my new place next week and want to put hardwood or a thick laminate in the living room. Only issue it's all been plastered and painted and the old original skirtings are massive and I don't really want to rip them up. What would you do? fit that horrible scotia beading or bite the bullet and rip the old skirting off? Try and undercut?

Any other options?
Lay amtico

Any other options?
Do a plaster squeeze and get some made up in fibrous fibre fix on and make good, we done a few fibourus ones in London before,some had been run in situ so just took a squeeze and patched in

Spoke to a joiner mate and he said there's a few different profile beads out and he's done some in white to match the skirting - says it looks neat if done right.

I dunno man I might live to regret not ripping them up.

If they are really big you could fix mdf strip to the skirt, run a router on the edge to match the detail on the top make them look even better :)
Done this a few times on refurbs and looks pukka, I have also used a smaller version of the existing and fixed it to the front of the old skirt, and returned the mould at the architrave.

I'd do as flynny suggests. Did a refurb/renovation on an old place a couple of years ago and a joinery co wanted £130 per meter to match some 14" skirting, supply only.

We was on a job and the joiner ripped the bottom of the skirting with this fancy machine so the floor would sit underneath it. Looked great when it was done. Worth looking into

Undercutting is an option, supposed to be a b*****d to get the last row clicked in though. Do you know the guy Stu?

We was on a job and the joiner ripped the bottom of the skirting with this fancy machine so the floor would sit underneath it. Looked great when it was done. Worth looking into
If it's say kahrs wood floor click together how do you get the last length to click in and go under fixed skirting?
I ain't no joiner type but logic says it ain't gonna go in innit

If it's say kahrs wood floor click together how do you get the last length to click in and go under fixed skirting?
I ain't no joiner type but logic says it ain't gonna go in innit
Haven't got a clue how he done it but he done it

You can do it with a plunge saw, however you'll have to cut the internal corners freehand with a multitool.
Mafell mt55 or festool ts55 will do the job
You still won't be better off as the last row will be a b*****d to fit

Any other options?

Carpet !!

Lots of different ways, but you only need to take skirting off on one side, just under cut the rest, lay it out, push underneath then put skirting back down (obviously with a bit cut off the bottom).

There is no magic way .. Beading is terrible
Far easiest to take your time taking skirting off ..
bond out back, When removed , Do your hardwood floor ,not laminate floor for all that effort
Skirting on ..
Sit back & enjoy a tru pro job