old ceilings

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

christ

Private Member
since ive been a decorator ive come across a few old ceilings which have hairline cracks all over them, sometimes the cracks are quite big, simple fill cracks then apply lining paper, grade 1600 lining paper will hold the ceiling together. im guessing the cracks appear because the boards are put up using nails, so is it advisable to screw the boards back before plastering?

also is that why people post msg saying they've plastered a ceiling and there were no cracks before they plastered it, but crack appered after, is this because of the weight of the plaster makes the nails move slighty?

cheers

i guess ill just screw the boards back, i thought someone might of come across this, been that it is a plastering forum

When you say hairline cracks all over them, do you mean that the cracks follow the edge of the boards or are the cracks literally all over the place?

yeah pretty much, ive seen ceiling with crack that follow the edge of the boards, do you reboard or just screw them back, or tell them to find someone else to do it. what about if its an old ceiling and you no it nailed up, do you just skim and hope cracks dont appear

are you sure its boards? just over skimmed a lath and plaster ceiling, loadsa cracks in it, covered em over with scrim prior...

yeah one of the ceilings was lath and plaster, it was a really really old building, they must of boards over the top and skimed it. the crack were really bad, i lined over the top. thats the problem with old buildings the move alot,

what do you do if it lath and plaster? tell the custumer ull be back 5 and do a runner?

also if its not lath just screw boards back? cheers

Still not 100% sure but if the ceilings a lath and plaster that's already been boarded over its a fair bet that the plaster as lost its key and is only held up by the boards. I dare guess that 9.5mm was used and it's not strong enough to hold the weight.

Board over the top if you want, me I'd be truthful and tell them what I thought it was and refuse to do it without removing the boards at least if not the whole lot. Remember that boards are not designed to hold up lath & plaster.

Not sure I understand this fear of lath ceilings. If they're sound and just some cracks I'd probs just tape and skim em.
If the lathe/plaster is bad then it can be repaired surely.
Worst case scenario........ rip it down and board it.

There is no job you can't solve with a hammer and a crow bar!!
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.