Odd one here

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeadams1985

Private Member
I priced a job about 7months ago. For. Various bits of cornice repairs and moulds to match. Was only about 700 quid . Price agreed and a date booked in about 3-4weeks away. About a week before the date I informed him I needed his deposit before I made anything. Received the deposit few days later so I made the cornice about 2 days workshop work.

Day before he rings to say plasterer has let him down and jobs not ready. OK so He'll call me in a week when it's ready And we'll arrange another date. Rings me a week later plasterer still not sorted job. Roll on to today. He rings jobs ready.

Trouble is.. The stuff I made has been thrown away now.

So. If I do the job it's another 2 days of making stuff. I'll end up out of pocket.

Do I tell him to sling it?

Or explain he has lost his deposit and has to repay the whole lot.?

About a week before the date I informed him I needed his deposit before I made anything. Received the deposit few days later so I made the cornice about 2 days workshop work.
you have to remake it at your own cost he paid you once to make the stuff why should he pay again ?

Suppose it depends what's in your T&C's on your estimate regarding time periods etc / deposits ??

Did you tell him the moulds/cornice aew only kept so long? If not its down to you to redo at your own cost

7 months is way too long, charge him again, maybe next time owt like that happens, just deliver it to his house and charge him for the cornice...

I priced a job about 7months ago. For. Various bits of cornice repairs and moulds to match. Was only about 700 quid . Price agreed and a date booked in about 3-4weeks away. About a week before the date I informed him I needed his deposit before I made anything. Received the deposit few days later so I made the cornice about 2 days workshop work.

Day before he rings to say plasterer has let him down and jobs not ready. OK so He'll call me in a week when it's ready And we'll arrange another date. Rings me a week later plasterer still not sorted job. Roll on to today. He rings jobs ready.

Trouble is.. The stuff I made has been thrown away now.

So. If I do the job it's another 2 days of making stuff. I'll end up out of pocket.

Do I tell him to sling it?

Or explain he has lost his deposit and has to repay the whole lot.?

its down to you I'm afraid you threw the stuff away :( just get it back on the next job like what's been said should of dropped it off and then you would be in a better position you live and learn :)

Should have delivered them and settled up cost or cornice. That way if they get damaged or job never comes off you haven't lost out, or in this case thrown them away. Cost of a phone call prior to disposal to check if still needed otherwise there binned. At least you wouldn't have to make them twice.

My prices are only good for a month after which we would have to requote.
Requote and add the cost in to that.
Be careful though as he may ask for the moulds or his deposit back.

maybe if they were stored but as he has said he binned them

Its the equivalent as cost of storage/cost of redoing them. If he redoes them then that is little different to as if he had to have them stored for x amount of time. I can't say charging at least something for that.

Then again you'd lose the customer and possibly gain a small amount of bad rep being punitive.

If his t&c's never stated a time period or anything about storage then im afraid its the OP's problem and something he'll have to do out of his own pocket . If there wasn't anything on the quote or receipt for the deposit etc and a time period then as a customer id expect them to be done again at the traders cost . If nothing is written down like above then id expect to be sued by the consumer for not refunding him worse case ..... that's what t&c's are there for - to cover you incase of things like this and payment schedules etc etc etc

Nightmare isn't it frsnk because it's a once of cast it can't be used elsewhere!

I'll accept it as it is. And remake it.
Will have to put it in my T&C from now on

Nightmare isn't it frsnk because it's a once of cast it can't be used elsewhere!

I'll accept it as it is. And remake it.
Will have to put it in my T&C from now on
that IMHO is the difference between a professional tradesman and a chancer, Good For you :RpS_thumbup:

T&c

A deposit is required say 50% just to cover the materials costs.

If there is any hold up such as room not ready for fitting, it's customer responsibility to store them until it is ready to fit up.

If customer is unable to store them, deposit is forfeit, and pay deposit again to re-run the reverse and cast.

I think best to advise that room is ready to fit then allow few days to make and fit.

Make sure the walls and ceiling are plastered straight and true, no wonky walls which will affect the fitting of the cornice

:D
ha ha ha There isn't that many tradesmen and women around who give a flying f@@k about straight true plum walls, you really do live in a dream world !
you make the best of what you have got to work with, 9 times out of 10 there old walls which bend curl and don't run true, cornice go's on straight and fill in rest to make the appearance of been straight

Status
Not open for further replies.