OCR cracking help advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

dai dog

Hi guys, I sprayed a 30m panel over an existing s+c scratch, floated it up lovely, only to find it had cracked all over! The rep said I should have never gone over s+c! He also said if I'd rendaid the scratch, he wouldn't guarantee that either! Although I do know someone who has rendagriped an old scratch and gone over it with no problems! Instead of using the customers house as an experiment, & losing more material, I'm considering doing the top coat in s+c! But I'm hoping someone on the forum may have encountered this before & has a solution!? Cheers Rhys.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 620
Hope one of the lads can help pal? I've never used OCR before?? Always makes me laugh when reps make excuses when things go wrong :rolleyes)

How thick did you coat it up? Was it sunny and windy when you did that by any chance mate?

Hi guys, I sprayed a 30m panel over an existing s+c scratch, floated it up lovely, only to find it had cracked all over! The rep said I should have never gone over s+c! He also said if I'd rendaid the scratch, he wouldn't guarantee that either! Although I do know someone who has rendagriped an old scratch and gone over it with no problems! Instead of using the customers house as an experiment, & losing more material, I'm considering doing the top coat in s+c! But I'm hoping someone on the forum may have encountered this before & has a solution!? Cheers Rhys.

Dai dog did you rub it up to soon ? how wet was it when you rubbed it up ? Does it sound hollow round the area where it cracked ?

Looks like shrinkage cracks caused by too much suction to me, could be wrong though. S+C substrates are prone to high suction rates if not prepared first. I don't think any manufacturer would guarantee a way forward from here I'm sorry to say as the render blowing is a distinct possibility.

What was the scratch done with, what strength ,how long left before ocr went on, what additives in the scratch

What was the scratch done with, what strength ,how long left before ocr went on, what additives in the scratch

Hi, the scratch was done with 4 to 1 with 2 caps of freeflo (gauged in a bucket) but the rep told me that the OCR is about a 6/1/1 which is weaker anyway!?

Dai dog did you rub it up to soon ? how wet was it when you rubbed it up ? Does it sound hollow round the area where it is cracked?
I may have gone on it a little early, the area around the cracks aren't hollow!

Sometimes mate if you get on it to early as ive found in the past it can tear, as the top coat will slide on the waterproofed scratch, although the cracks fill, they can open back up when curing, this is because the top coat is just sitting on a wet scratch rather than pulled into it. Try and leave it as long as you can if it starts going to quick keep hydrating it until its ready to rub, when its ready for rubbing it shouldn't really be moving anywhere.

You may have gone over the 4:1 to early. 4:1 is strong and will need to cure well before top coating. Also this on a waterproofed base coat so shrinkage or slump cracks?

I have had had ocr crack but usually down to to thick and wet.

Not surprised the rep said what he said. Typical of Weber!

In my experience with bagged render it will crack if to thick,like any render I suppose.
CPI cracks a lot as there is no suction due to waterproof.
I have done back to hand apply now with standard s&c.its cheaper for gear and easier to source.

Has anybody rendaided over a scratch & sprayed OCR?

Yes I've just done one over sand cement, rendaid then ocr, no cracks. And I regularly go over sand cement 4:1 with waterproofer at 10mm without problems.

It's weird because I had the same cracks on a job recently that I sprayed did everything same as usual. I spoke to Weber and they said they were tension cracks and just on the surface? It was not hollow around the cracks so I sponged them in.

Yes I've just done one over sand cement, rendaid then ocr, no cracks. And I regularly go over sand cement 4:1 with waterproofer at 10mm without problems.

It's weird because I had the same cracks on a job recently that I sprayed did everything same as usual. I spoke to Weber and they said they were tension cracks and just on the surface? It was not hollow around the cracks so I sponged them in.

Cheers pal, that gives me a bit more confidence, do you try & leave the gear as late as you can like some guys have suggested?

Is rend aid over a scratch before ocr a bit ott,wouldn't a mix of 6/1/1 be easier to apply anyway... As in ordinary sand cement lime

Cheers pal, that gives me a bit more confidence, do you try & leave the gear as late as you can like some guys have suggested?

You don't want it to be moving but thats standard. I leave it quite late, quick float then get the sponge on it. I had it once where the labourer soaked the scratch and that was a nightmare, started sliding. Just dampen it down slightly so there is still a good bit of suction.

As others have said you can't put it on too thick. I don't know what these cracks are mate it's always hard to put your finger on it I always use Rendaid but still have this problem sometimes.

If you are Tyroleaning or painting I don't think these cracks will be a problem as according to weber they are just the surface.

It is annoying though.

One interesting thing is there were more cracks where the wall hadn't dried quite as well implying it was deeper there, & could be sagging off the scratch?

I used to use a faithful one with plastic handle then changed to a different one as it was sagging as not enough key.only a thought like

A run of the mill 5 prong one with a plastic handle!?

Same here, this all goes back to my concerns over a wavy scratch. I use a 5 prong one.

I did a vertical scratch this time, same thickness and no cracks.

Ocr does not like going on to thick I'd avoid going above 16mm in 2 passes.

Too small an area to use the machine on. Just so you know I don't Rend aid after dubbing out, I go straight over the sand/cement after dampening down. This job was a mix of existing sound scratch coat rend aided and dubbed out areas 4:1, no rend aid, no cracks.

My gut feeling is the cracks are caused by going on too thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.