now then fellas.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

cminers5

my first post on here so be gentle with me!!!
been plastering now a few years but always boarding and skiming. did a bit of foat and
set today and could do with some advice.
soon as my first coat of skim went on top it all bubbled up. how do i stop this. i let it tighten in and flatened it
so 2nd coat went on ok. after ruling off the browning how far should i go to make it smooth. i just ruled it and scratched it. im guessing this was my problem. cheers.

Did it just bubble like your rice crispies or did it actually blister later on?

As long as the backing coat is flat and level it should be ok :) I always use a float on bonding and hardwall to smooth off and give a key etc then just back trowel when its gone hard and cut the corners in if needs be.

You will find lots of people have different ways of doing things so be prepared :) Nobodies way is wrong either if it works for you.

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

sounds like as you only ruled it then scratched it you might have left it quite rough this could be the problem it could just be trapped air between the plaster and backing coat

Whack it on, rule it, scratch it up with the devil float and run the trowel over it before it drys out too much to get rid of the lumps. Skimming always pulls in well on the first coat then usually hangs like hell on the second. Was it over concretes or thermo blocks as this makes a big difference....

Welcome to the forum aswell pal :)

You did right with pva,let it pull in a bit or just chuck it on.Flatten,then wait till the suction take's.It's all a matter of patience then when it start's stiffening up put second coat on.If air bubbles still present when trowelling up wait a while and use as little water as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.