noisy plaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark1988

Was skimming over artex today. Knackered lol after my bonding coat I split the room into 2 sets. First one no probs, carry on. Second one the multi was going bananas crackling and bubbling on the and Making the noise like when you pour milk into rice crispies. This isn't the first time this has happened when doing this kind off job! Managed to work out the bubbles and it ended up fine but was wondering what causes this reaction. Cheers mark

I've had this before, can't say exactly what causes it, I would guess that little bubbles of pva pushing air through the skim.

It's Gypsum Mites, they are found on the gypsum rock mined from below the ground & they make it into the bags of plaster in the factory during bagging process, when they have contact with water they try to escape to the surface, this is the noise you can hear, there's a scientific explanation/name for it on the web.

Heres a a pic I found

noisy plaster

It's Gypsum Mites, they are found on the gypsum rock mined from below the ground & they make it into the bags of plaster in the factory during bagging process, when they have contact with water they try to escape to the surface, this is the noise you can hear, there's a scientific explanation/name for it on the web.

Heres a a pic I found

noisy plaster

lol sounds ridiculous... but is there any truth in it???

I'm not sure if nisus is taking the piss or not. He sounds genuine. I've had crackling before when going over artex without bonding

Nisus is correct. I've got contact (irritant) dermatitis . The GP wasn't much good but dermatologist confirmed it was Gypsum mites were the problem. I've got a barrier cream for it now, they hate it and have to say its good stuff :RpS_thumbup:

Any excuse to get away from the blame on the bags :RpS_sneaky: lol irish spread is the only one thats making me believe..... And they can live in a bag of plaster for how long ????

I always wondered why i would end up with holes in my work trousers. Must be these little feckers instead of my logical reason of wear and tear:razz:

Googles these 'gypsum mites' and nowt about them sure sum 1 is havin a gd giggle atm lol.

There is a Latin name for them, can't remember it though. If you ever get itchy red skin and get into the itch scratch itch cycle you'll understand how awful it is. My hands and arms would end up bleeding from the bastads.
only cure is the barrier cream followed by Dermovate ( a steroid cream )

I once caught a gypsum mite, was working in a house and I remembered seeing a thick magnifying glass on the hallway table on my way in, I asked if I could use it and I saw a mite crawling out of the plaster. plucked it out with the corner of a business card

When you pour milk into your breakfast bowl, the cereal absorbs the milk. As milk flows into the crispy kernel, the liquid puts pressure on the air inside and pushes it around.
The air shoves against each pocket’s walls until they shatter, forcing out a snap, or a crackle, or, as you, know, sometimes a pop.
You can also see tiny air bubbles escaping to the surface.

i recon its the same thing :RpS_thumbsup: but different :RpS_unsure:

Heres a a pic I found

noisy plaster

I was told that they can break down the fibre in some of the moulded plaster features. I guess they just appreciate the change of diet?

There is a Latin name for them, can't remember it though. If you ever get itchy red skin and get into the itch scratch itch cycle you'll understand how awful it is. My hands and arms would end up bleeding from the bastads.
only cure is the barrier cream followed by Dermovate ( a steroid cream )

I understand mate , it does dry my skin out and cause the odd bit eczema kinda thing , just guessed it was all the dry dust etc really ......

Had it a fair few times, only ever on artex. Since I started using blue grit, never had the problem..question is....I have no idea if it's related to high or low suction?

I aint convinced feb blue grit that I use kills suction that well.. I used it on some kitchen walls a while back which were tired as fcuk. The walls sucked like a sucky thing......, good job I caught it.

no need to panic thou.. By end of second trowel they should have stopped.. If one does pop his head above the parapet at the end, the refina plazzi is best placed to top em off on last trowel.

However, gonna have to put these gypsum mites into my risk assessment.....look like mean little feckers.......:RpS_scared: :RpS_thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.