No Cement in Pre-!920s houses

Status
Not open for further replies.

bodymould

Is it time to stop putting modern plasters in old buildings. Pre-1920 houses used lime, and breathe, cement and gypsum kill them.

The actual material is not expensive, the labour is, however if we promoted more of it, there would be more work, therefor it could be cheaper.

My idea is that since the floods a lot of re-plastering is required, so why not replace the old with lime mortar and get rid of all damp issues at the same time???

Its one thing I worry about, let's say you have a very damp section, bricks are soaked through, you think1 tank it, batten and board it, the lime render solution, will it work?

time is money mate, let's forget about the expanding rentals in old terrace built homes all they want is another sticking plaster over the problem. multi is king at present.

Is it time to stop putting modern plasters in old buildings. Pre-1920 houses used lime, and breathe, cement and gypsum kill them.

The actual material is not expensive, the labour is, however if we promoted more of it, there would be more work, therefor it could be cheaper.

My idea is that since the floods a lot of re-plastering is required, so why not replace the old with lime mortar and get rid of all damp issues at the same time???

Why does it kill them?

What mix would you do if doing it by hand, four and one hdl to sand, how long between coats, skim/ top coat with putty?

Status
Not open for further replies.