Newbie needs help!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

iturner15

Hi all,

I am Ian, 25 from Bournemouth. Have just brought my first house and earlier in the year did a evening college course in DIY plastering and am now getting stuck in!

I've started in the box room in the house to get some practice, I've changed the window ledge from tiles to MDF, I've added a few sockets and a tv point and rendered over the blown plaster.

Here are a few pictures

Window before:

Tiles out:

New window ledge:

Blown render filled with thisle undercoat plaster:

TV point added and filled:

I have now almost finished the window, I removed the rest of the render and double plaster boarded it.

Do you think the thistle undercoat plaster was the best thing to use? This is the first time I've ever worked on my own but found it so hard to work with, very gritty and still needs filling after. I used the float on it but just seems to make worse. I've ended up sanding it and filling it with easy coat.

I am hoping to be ready to skim by the weekend, but still not sure if I will be! I still have a vent to fill!

Let me know what you think, I am looking forward to getting lots of advice, anyone near bournemouth?

I wish you guys could see just how much I've got on the floor, you'd laugh! Dust sheets are down :)

Ian

Hi Ian :)

Welcome to the forum :)

The undercoat plaster will be fine :) If your are skimming the whole wall/s then you wont need to fill it as such :)

Welcome Ian, most topics have been covered in old threads so have a little search unless you have an specific questions. :RpS_thumbsup:

Yeah if you're skimming the wall it's fine pal. Id
normally use hardwall for filling before skim but each to his own!

Oh, I thought the wall had to be as flat as possible to skim! Not so much to worry about then! I'm nearly out of undercoat plaster so will try hardwall next time! Here are a few more pictures:

The vent in question, I'm thinking of setting a few bricks in about 15mm back then plasterboarding and taping. Is this easiest?

Plasterboard in around the window

And another load of blown plaster removed and filled

With regards to searching, I have done and have read most of the how to's and guides but still would rather keep a log if thats ok, also it will be a good way to get to know people. Hope thats ok.

Ian

Thanks for the replies, I think I will try hardwall next time! I know I can search and have been and have been reading up but thought I'd keep a log and get to know everyone whilst learning :)

Here are a few more pictures,

vent to be filled, I was going to brick it up then plaster board it, does anyone else think there's a better way?

Window plasterboarded

Blown plaster filled

I have now filled over these areas with easyfill and still have hollows :( How does does everything need to be before skimming? I am getting very concerned I've bitten off more than I can chew!

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.