new van... transit???

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMK

Looking at getting a new van at the moment.

I have seen a 58 plate SWB panel van which i am interested in, but before i go any futher with it i wanted to know if a SWB of this age could fit an 8x4 in the back laid down on the floor?
I have this idea to put a false floor in so when i need to load 8x4 sheets in the back i can just slide them underneath my tackle and other gear.

If this is impossible can anyone suggest a van that i might be able to do the above with for around £9k.

Cheers guys!

Transit. THE best van for the job. Designed for 8x4's You'll get a good one for £9 grand. Don't bother with VW. They are too narrow and parts can be expensive. :RpS_wink:

Try the auctions and grab a bargain
Looking at getting a new van at the moment.

I have seen a 58 plate SWB panel van which i am interested in, but before i go any futher with it i wanted to know if a SWB of this age could fit an 8x4 in the back laid down on the floor?
I have this idea to put a false floor in so when i need to load 8x4 sheets in the back i can just slide them underneath my tackle and other gear.

If this is impossible can anyone suggest a van that i might be able to do the above with for around £9k.

Cheers guys!

always had transits,always will.

bought 2 new ones in 2009 to replace my 2 old ones ,no probs parts cheap, cheap to service reliable etc
ive had the lot, vitos vws a vauxhall nothings come near a transit to be honest.

I've got a 06 Renault paid10.grand for it in 07.nothing but problems gutted didn't get a transit.just google maps on Liverpool and see all my oil stains all over the city.had a brand new transit connect why oh why did I get rid!

Transit. THE best van for the for pikeys. You'll get a good one for £9. Don't bother with VW. They are too fast and you'll never get any work done because all you'll want to do is sit in it, and jerk off at how nice it is. :RpS_wink:

I agree with you for once.

Tony, Tony, Tony!!!! C'mon mate. The truth is out there. VW's are not ideal in our trade. You need to trade the surf bus in for a nice High spec Transit like mine. You won't look back. I promise :RpS_cool:

:rolleyes)
new van... transit???

Tony, Tony, Tony!!!! C'mon mate. The truth is out there. VW's are not ideal in our trade. You need to trade the surf bus in for a nice High spec Transit like mine. You won't look back. I promise :RpS_cool:

I'm a loyal VW driver i'm afraid. If I was building as opposed to drylining, then a Transit would probably suit me better, but also, my Transporter is my only vehicle, so I want something a bit nice, for other times too.

My Transit's a bit nice!! infact it's very nice. All the gadgets that a car has, then some!! It's my only vehicle too and i'm happy driving it as the bulkhead keeps all the crap out of the cab as well as the dusty smell. Fair play to you though.

so is one of mine casper, the one i drive myself, i got every extra you can get.
cruise control, cd changer,heated screen etc.
the only problem i have with transits is the always rust above the windscreen,both of mine have just gone two year old and theres rust apearing already :-0
in last 6 year ive owned 5 and theyve always done the same.

i love my tranny will only have one of them now although the rust is getting on my nerves, luckily my mate works in a body shop so im getting it done for nothing soon ............result.
casper what tranny do you have is it the black st

He's got a 140 limited aka black beast:RpS_biggrin:
I'm sure he'll post a pic......:RpS_unsure:

transit mate got an 06 from new never let me down had a merc always problems had it for two years got rid get a ford mate will not regret it

iveco daily

bought 2 yrs ago
very happy with it......just done 2 trips to france ----great on the motorways ,didn't miss a beat...

good load carry capacity too :RpS_biggrin:

i got a 04 plate, slight rust,but fwaking immaculate,i have a obbsesive dissorder with keeping my gear clean,i always get changed before getting in the front, the back is basically shelved down 1 side,its done 120,000 and never missed a beat.The only problems i find with mine is it often smells of reall bad farts.

Cracking response lads!

I've got an 04 transit connect at the mo and i love it. Always planned to get a 'proper' transit later on this year for the crappy weather.

I've put a false floor in the connect and it really has served me well. I just knocked it up out of 3x2 and 3/4 inch ply. Brilliant! Will figure out a way of putting a false floor in a proper transit to maximise on storage space.

I knew the SWB transit had the width for an 8x4, but wasnt 100% on the depth??? Will definately be getting one WITH a bulk head. Will this still work out?????????

Thanks for all the tips on where to go to buy one!!

i bought a new transit this year , cant go wrong , good deal too . i put a false floor in it too so i can get about 15 boards laying flat . Happy as larry :RpS_thumbup:

i got a 04 plate, slight rust,but fwaking immaculate,i have a obbsesive dissorder with keeping my gear clean,i always get changed before getting in the front, the back is basically shelved down 1 side,its done 120,000 and never missed a beat.The only problems i find with mine is it often smells of reall bad farts.

Me too. I also have a picnic blanket to put OVER my seat covers should I need to nip off during the day whilst in my work attire.

what sort of mpg are u boys gettin from the tranny.? and please note if its the tdi pre 2005 or the tdci cursed commonrail post 2005.

been tempted by a tranny of late but fuel consuption on the transporter is a big factor now

How did you do the floor blade doesn't it need to be supported from the weight of the tools etc?

spunky - haven't got one yet, so not sure how false floor would work. Best advice would be to speak to a joiner mate.

I'm guessing to use quite a thick ply wood - 3/4 inch works fine on my transit connect, and then span the 4 foot with 3x2 on edge at 400mm centres. That's gotta give enough support!!!! It may have an impact on fuel consumption, but hey ho!

Cant find the pic Lee. But yeah it's a 140 ltd same spec as Sport van minus the body kit and big alloys. Goes like stink. Cruises at a ton......when i have enough for deisel :rolleyes)

Is it the thickness of the ply mainly then tony, I wouldn't mind something like that even just to shove me straight edges in etc

Also sorry stupid question time but how do you fix to the edge of the van and the bottom do you have to use special screws and aim for certain spots, the one thing vie been scathed of racking a van would be putting the secrews through the bodywork lol

Status
Not open for further replies.