New trowel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorto

Right fellas , got new 16 carbon steel trowel and wanted know if any quick fixes to taking edge off my new trowel . Had accident with my regular one and don't like my back up trowel so just asking your lads opinion the best way. Normally break it on on render jobs an an all that but this emergency fellas . No time for that .

I used an oilstone to get my last carbon trowel started.
Still need a bit of work though.

oil stone or if you are a dab had with a grinder and a fine flappy disk.... put the grinder in a vice crank it on and then work the trowel :D

I always thought rendering will give a trowel a nice shape but it's the skimming that properly breaks it in and gives it the edge. My last two trowels refina premium and nela premium I just got them out the box and started skimming, refina was a beauty straight away, nela took a bit more work but didn't take long at all. Am I right in thinking carbon will break in quicker than stainless? Just get stuck in innit!

I used mt CS straight out the box its just keeping it dry and not getting rusty thats the ballache

Can't believe any plasterer doesn't know to break a new trowel in 1hr max at home with file for corners and oilstone for blades I mean come on ffs!!!

First and most important thing to be taught after materials and prep etc!

I genuinely don't think the people that ask these questions are genuine plasterers IMHO

Can't believe any plasterer doesn't know to break a new trowel in 1hr max at home with file for corners and oilstone for blades I mean come on ffs!!!

I genuinely don't think the people that ask these questions are genuine plasterers IMHO

What's an oilstone

Wen I 1st started no word of a lie id oil stone my trowel for about half hour a nite for about a week solid still got the trowel 2day but I've retired it now..pretty basic s**t is oil stoning ur trowel like but guy mite be a nipper?

Ffs zombie just asked a question. If it narks u that much don't get involved. Be doing it 20 years just couldn't be arsed putting effort in with oilstone. That's all

Ffs zombie just asked a question. If it narks u that much don't get involved. Be doing it 20 years just couldn't be arsed putting effort in with oilstone. That's all
Lol if u cudnt be arsed putting effort into oil stone wats ur plastering like lol

Right fellas , got new 16 carbon steel trowel and wanted know if any quick fixes to taking edge off my new trowel . Had accident with my regular one and don't like my back up trowel so just asking your lads opinion the best way. Normally break it on on render jobs an an all that but this emergency fellas . No time for that .
Beddy told us about his technique which involves using Japanese waterstones, you can get them off amazon. Oilstones work well or even chefs blocks. Hickey told us about how to treat the metal using cola and vinegar. I'm not where those threads are but they are on here and very useful, worth looking for

as oli said noel and I have shared how to force a patina to prevent rust and how to get it literally as sharp as a razor. have a search and you'll find it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

You`d think wilkinson sword would want to get in on these new sharp trowels aye ? dragons den !!! :envidioso;)

Wen I 1st started no word of a lie id oil stone my trowel for about half hour a nite for about a week solid still got the trowel 2day but I've retired it now..pretty basic s**t is oil stoning ur trowel like but guy mite be a nipper?
Have had a trowell in my hand for best part of thirty years. and have never needed to do this, over here I break them in on S&C and use two skimming trowells, when I lived in London my mate was a floor screeder, he'd have one lovely in ten days. I know guys who have used the flapper disk to good effect though.

Sent from my HUAWEI G6-L11 using Tapatalk

I always run them on the stones. I have 3 different Japanese stones and when I am done with the trowel it's like a mirror . I have done this just a few days ago with my new 16" carbon steel tyzack . After that soaking in vinegar to minimise the rust patina . Soaked in baking soda and water to deactivate the vinegar and is ready to go. If you have the ss tyzack, you need to run it on stones or something similar . They say is ready to go, but is not.need some attention .

Rub the sharp edges on a stone and away you go.

People love trying to make our game more complicated than it really is.

cant work out if thats true or not... its so bonkers it might be true
Butchers have the best sharpening stones, I saw one once about 100mm square and Couple of inches thick with a huge dip in middle ....

....God that sounded G** [emoji15]

Butchers have the best sharpening stones, I saw one once about 100mm square and Couple of inches thick with a huge dip in middle ....

....God that sounded G** [emoji15]

Now I think about it it is a damn good idea..

Anyone seen them finishing trowels by Marshalltown in b&q for 10er. Got different handle aswel

Status
Not open for further replies.