new trowel

Status
Not open for further replies.

kemp

im thinking of getting a new trowel cos my old skimming trowel is on its way the handle coming lose and a rivit ready for poping

iv been looking at some tyzack trowels i normaly have marsheltown
what do u guys use and which do u think is the best?

i have a marshel town 14 inch stainless for skimming and a 12 for floating and rendering etc

Am listing some trowels on ebay mate 2 marshell town 1 stainless 13" x 5 and 13" x 5" carbon both new I have just worn them in so that is a bonus.

the so called tyzack are s...te mate made in china and bend the wrong way after a while get yourself a kraft trowel or mt

I've got both. Prefer the tyzack but the steel is pretty thin on it and has bent on it very easily. Still using it but not sure if it will become unusable

I've got both. Prefer the tyzack but the steel is pretty thin on it and has bent on it very easily. Still using it but not sure if it will become unusable

which one you got? I reckon the cheaper ready to go Tyzacks just warp over time. They're alright before they warp. The premier is much stronger/thicker.

Beddy didn't you post summat about flattening warped trowels by screwing them flat to the floor with a bit of wood?

which one you got? I reckon the cheaper ready to go Tyzacks just warp over time. They're alright before they warp. The premier is much stronger/thicker.

Beddy didn't you post summat about flattening warped trowels by screwing them flat to the floor with a bit of wood?

Yea I think it was the cheaper one and it has started to warp. Lovely trowel to use tho. May try that nailing it to the floor tip if it gets too warped and then I can use it as a deviling up trowel :RpS_thumbup:

Twitcher. Get yourself 2 pieces of timber. Only need to be about 4" x 2" x 1/2" put one flat down on the deck and Rest the toe of your trowel on it. Then get another piece and hold it on end, just infront of the handle if its just generally curved the wrong way Or if its bent in a more specific place, hold it there. Give it a firm tap with a hammer. Obviously the thicker the piece on the floor and the harder you hit it, the more it'll bend it. But be careful. 1 tap too many and you'll pop the rivets

Twitcher. Get yourself 2 pieces of timber. Only need to be about 4" x 2" x 1/2" put one flat down on the deck and Rest the toe of your trowel on it. Then get another piece and hold it on end, just infront of the handle if its just generally curved the wrong way Or if its bent in a more specific place, hold it there. Give it a firm tap with a hammer. Obviously the thicker the piece on the floor and the harder you hit it, the more it'll bend it. But be careful. 1 tap too many and you'll pop the rivets

You're as tight as my old man was, just buy a new one.

Its not about being tight mate. Its the thought of having just worn in a trowel and then having to do it all again.A plasterers trowel is a very personal thing x

the marshalltown gold is good for laying on takes a while to break it in but for finishing I use a jewson trowel best 10 quid iv ever spent its like a razor. used a tyzak once and once was enough.:RpS_thumbup:

So is there any science behing which length/width trowel to use for finishing, or is it just personal preference? I'm using a 14x5 gold marshalltown for most things, and my old 13x5 carbon for rendering.

No just pearsonell preference I use a 13x5 for hardwall and 14x4 3/4 for sand cement/skimming

Status
Not open for further replies.