New to the site, looking to get into the industry and a general hello.

Status
Not open for further replies.

simmons84

Hi, as the the title says I'm new here so play nice lol .

Im Craig and from the West Midlands, (Dudley/stourbridge area).

Im 30 years old and just been on a 4 day intensive plastering course to learn the basics of the trade and now I'm looking gain more experience/a job with a time served plaster.

Any advice from you lovely bunch of people on how to move forward from this point would be extremely greatful.

Thanks in advance

How to apply a sand and cement external render, how board ceilings, dot and dab walls and skim walls and ceilings along with mixing the muck up.

It was only the basics, in no way whatsoever am I trying to even contemplate saying I'm a plaster! I want to learn more, gain more experience, build on the foundations I've laid so to speak

4 days the only thing they had me doing when I was starting out was mixing scriming and tacking for at least 6 to 8 months then I got a bucket trowel and a whisk for another 2 month then reveils. I think they were trying to put me off the trade tbh. Mixing a full bag with a peice of 2x1!

Looking back I must have been mad to stick at it!

welcome to the mad house - by the way there a lot more to plastering than 4 days training, most of the time served plasterers on here did 3or 4 years training - good luck in your chosen trade - :RpS_thumbsup:

been at it 34 years and still learning - from some of the guys on here :RpS_scared::RpS_thumbsup:

Hi, yes I'm aware 4 days isn't enough but we have to start somewhere, at my age it's not easy to get an apprenticeship so i'm doing it the harder way. I'm not expecting it to be easy, i just want to build on the limited skills I have learnt and give it a real good go, hard graft and determination.

Hi, yes I'm aware 4 days isn't enough but we have to start somewhere, at my age it's not easy to get an apprenticeship so i'm doing it the harder way. I'm not expecting it to be easy, i just want to build on the limited skills I have learnt and give it a real good go, hard graft and determination.

Find a good college course and do a year or two. Its what I'm doing right now.

welcome to the mad house like the comment above apply to your local college and do a full qualification and while you are doing that see if you can find a plasterer near you who will take you out on jobs to give you that extra bit of trowel time and experience

Status
Not open for further replies.