New to plastering

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigssj4

Hi there my names craig and im from north east england (sunderland/newcastle area's)

Finally got sick of the 9-5 sales job and done a plastering course earlier in year, passed it fine and got nvq2, however i have only now done plastering in my own home (few ceilings and 1 large wall) and also a few small jobs at friends homes, i am looking to do plastering full time instead of my office job.

The only thing holding me back is my confidence in plastering large areas because i haven't had much time to practice because of working full time, How did other people take the jump? Going from a guaranteed income to as and when?

What i would love to do is work full time as a labourer for a plasterer as a kind of apprentice, i feel this would help my confidence and also fine tune my plastering and time skills. I've even bought a van in which i keep my tools in purely because the miss's doesn't like them around the flat! so ive made a commitment by doing this.

Starting to pull me hair out and getting stressed because i know id enjoy being selfemployed ten times more than being a wage slave!

Any advice would be great in what to do

Thanks in advance!
Craig

Welcome to the forum ;) advice a ....... work with a plasterer for a while and learn as much as you can , come on this forum and read up as much as you can , do the best job you can do dont ever rush and be tidy , dont worry about speed that comes with time , best of luck . So is there a job going where you are ? ;D

hi thanks for getting back to me so quick

just wondering how would you go about contact othering plasterers to work for them? just ring or get address and send letter explaining?

Any plasterers in north east need a cheap labourer once a week ?? ha

Exactly that ;) if you are in a position where you can offer your services cheap that may be the foot in the door you need in the mean time start re skimming your friends houses ;D.

just ring around mate and ask people you dont mind being paid cash £40 is average nowadays

Stay in your current job, do plastering of a weekend. Could take a while to earn the same wage, so no matter how pissed off you get, best to stick with it for now. Big problem is that a lot of plasterers work on there own. Good luck with it all, we all started out from somewhere

alryt there Craig

I'm from the north east too it took me ages to get sorted with a spread.Firstly i was having to travel to Darlington which was 74 mile an all round trip and i was labouring for free only because i was after the most important thing EXPERIENCE it was a bit of a ball ache as it was costing me a tenna per day.I just stuck it out and got a fella on here asking for me as i posted for some experience ages ago.I'm still working with him now been working with him for nearly 3 month and learning more and more everyday.

my advice is to not bother with the letters as i posted 20 letters and never got 1 reply.I would ring all the plasterers you can and have a bit crack with them starting with some free labouring and that will show your willingness.

let me know how you get on mate

Dan

cheers lads that's what the sites for.You guys help me out so its good to give back as much as we can.

Status
Not open for further replies.