New plaster

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masticman

Hi all been reading on the firum but cant teally get the anwers i needed so going to try here we where flooded out in august now just had the pladtering done the walls where damp proffed with a bitumas paint as single skinned bricks the plasters used sand cement with a moisture addative included they have skimmed the walls with a thistle after about 4 weeks of natural drying windows doors left open all day shut at night i went in yesterday day and where the wall where rendered upto m high the who wall was skimmed top to bottom with pva on old plaster i now have a hair line crack round every room at render level is this nirmal allso i had to chase out a channel for a pipe and ive noticed i can just push my finger on the piece of plaster removed and it just breakes off the render like no adhesion is this write or is there some thing wrong some where
Any imfo appreciated as quite concerned thanks in advance

sounds a bit dodgy to me captain. was the joint taped up between the two, before skimming commenced good sir?

No was rendered up to 1m high where chopped out by drying company
Then old plaster pva and then skimmed
Now 4 weeks later crack line appearing all way round rooms where it was cut up to allso some vertical cracks all on bottom half no cracks above where exsisting is should i be wortied the reason we had the whole wall skimmed is because we didnt want any visable marks round wall because tgey where only going to skim upto line of old plaster then re wall paper so we said we would have the whole romm re skimmed no wall paper just painted

If its been left for 4 weeks it surely cant be shrinkage cracks , im guessing the existing plaster above is abit lose and thats caused the crack ? Should really use a old handsaw and cut along before hacking the bottom off so it doesnt loosen the plaster above ..... That could be a reason not saying it is the reason though !

Had 1 of there chaps round today and hes told me its nothing to worry about
They will go round with some flexable filler and rub down before painting
?

Can someone tell me the procedure
For this type of work as after reading
Im told that the render should be dry before skimming they renderd all the walls in a day pva top half then came in
The nexst day and skimmed walls

Can someone tell me the procedure
For this type of work as after reading
Im told that the render should be dry before skimming they renderd all the walls in a day pva top half then came in
The nexst day and skimmed walls
It should be a week for sand and cement to dry before skimming,it needs to cure,early skimming can lead to cracking or shelling .lots do it next day but are liable if it goes wrong

Ok had plaster out today he agrees it shouldn't of happened he said may be there was still moisture in wall he dosnt no but says if so plaster would usually
Blow but he says its definatly
Shrinkage allso could be that top half has dried out quicker than bottom
Hes asked me what i want him to do
Hes offerd to scaped out cracks and put some essy fill in and sand down
But ive said ill wait for surveyor to come and look and go from there
Can some 1 tell me what he should do to make it write

Is the render blown or just the finish ie 2mm coat on top, the entire MO seems wrong,how has he bonded the render to the bitumen paint,the are incompatible materials,
Ps why is it single skin, I take it that it's an internal wall ...?

Im in wisbech single skin brickwork no cavity bitumin walls top half pva bottom half render skim top to bottom crack after 3 weeks vettical and horizontal to plaster line plastet ssys hasnt blown but can pull plaster off in olaces at bottom

Im in wisbech single skin brickwork no cavity bitumin walls top half pva bottom half render skim top to bottom crack after 3 weeks vettical and horizontal to plaster line plastet ssys hasnt blown but can pull plaster off in olaces at bottom

Im in wisbech single skin brickwork no cavity bitumin walls top half pva bottom half render skim top to bottom crack after 3 weeks vettical and horizontal to plaster line plastet ssys hasnt blown but can pull plaster off in olaces at botto

Yes water proffer was put in it was skimmed day after render was done
What i need to no does all the plaster
Got to come off or only bottom half what had render behind skim
Or can they fill cracks

If the plasterer has re-skimmed over old existing plaster,there could lie your problem,especially if it's been been loosened with the hacking off below it.
If the plaster isn't sound and solid on the brickwork you're going to get movement hence the cracks.
To be honest you're going to run the risk of cracks appearing on any old plaster that's over skimmed.
Hope this helps.

Its only cracked at bottom vertical
And where meets old plaster
Had the surveyer out he agrees shouldnt of happend and has agreed
To get main rooms overskined again
Says he thinks there was still moisture
In the render and plasterd to early

Status
Not open for further replies.