New member.

HAPPYFULCHER

Hello my name is Adrian Fulcher ,I have been plastering for 44 yrs both modern and in the last 15 yrs traditional Suffolk lime plastering.Have any of you used Anglia limes haired chalk plaster it is a exapt replica of the lime they used a hundred yrs ago. The amazing thing about it is you can put it on just about any surface , up to 40mm in one go, and believe me it rarely cracks. Any how a completely different subject ,I was reading on this forum about shoulder pain well I can tell you a good story about that. Twenty yrs ago I tore my right rotator cuff after falling of a ladder, the surgeon after MRI examination said it was so bad a test it was unoperable.He then said I would have to give up plastering I said are you going to pay my mortgage. I managed to trowel up with my left after a while, but the amazing thing is how you start to use your abdominal muscles and the large lattisimus dorsi in your back to compensate for the shoulder. muscle .I then fell of my bike after hitting a pothole and tore my left cuff so both arms were knackered but I am still plastrering 14 yrs later ,so if any of you have similar trouble let your body adjust natural y for you.Anyhow I expect you have heard enough from me. Looking forward to a reply.

Nice intro bud do a lot of lime work myself I use Mike Wye products down in sunny Devon there gear is great would never use anyone else down here. Keeping the old tradition going! Love it (y)

Hello my name is Adrian Fulcher ,I have been plastering for 44 yrs both modern and in the last 15 yrs traditional Suffolk lime plastering.Have any of you used Anglia limes haired chalk plaster it is a exapt replica of the lime they used a hundred yrs ago. The amazing thing about it is you can put it on just about any surface , up to 40mm in one go, and believe me it rarely cracks. Any how a completely different subject ,I was reading on this forum about shoulder pain well I can tell you a good story about that. Twenty yrs ago I tore my right rotator cuff after falling of a ladder, the surgeon after MRI examination said it was so bad a test it was unoperable.He then said I would have to give up plastering I said are you going to pay my mortgage. I managed to trowel up with my left after a while, but the amazing thing is how you start to use your abdominal muscles and the large lattisimus dorsi in your back to compensate for the shoulder. muscle .I then fell of my bike after hitting a pothole and tore my left cuff so both arms were knackered but I am still plastrering 14 yrs later ,so if any of you have similar trouble let your body adjust natural y for you.Anyhow I expect you have heard enough from me. Looking forward to a reply.
Alright bah! Lol.
Where in Suffolk are you based?

hi fella's, just joined the forum, been spreading about 17 yrs still lots to learn, just about to do my first lime job, internal, brick, flint, and cob walls should be a steep learning curve, looking forward to it though.

hi fella's, just joined the forum, been spreading about 17 yrs still lots to learn, just about to do my first lime job, internal, brick, flint, and cob walls should be a steep learning curve, looking forward to it though.
I do lots of lime work in Suffolk where we have wooden frame buildings with wattle and daub in fill which was originally finished with haired chalk plaster which is slaked lime crushed chalk and enormous amounts of hair. When you take old plaster of in our area you can roll it up into a sausage and unrol it and it doesn't crack ,it is that flexible . This lime comes from Anglia limes in Sudbury, They have replicated the exact lime finish from over a hundred yrs ago but to there astonishment they have found it can be payed onto nearly any surface up to 40 mm in one pass, I find two or three coats better,there is a house we plastered 3 yrs ago onto wooden lathes and I swear you not there isn't a crack on the hole building so much for modern materials.

I honestly think doing all aspects of plastering over the last 25 years lime work is by far my most favoured work so good to work with I hope the tradition carrys on getting passed down the generations.

Alright Adrian, welcome along .

Welcome! People are talking about lime this and that, but never chalked lime! What is so special about it?

its tradition!
if i was a rich man, dib a bib a dib abib abib a dib adib adum..da da da da dib a bib a dum,
if i was a wealtheeeey man!

I do lots of lime work in Suffolk where we have wooden frame buildings with wattle and daub in fill which was originally finished with haired chalk plaster which is slaked lime crushed chalk and enormous amounts of hair. When you take old plaster of in our area you can roll it up into a sausage and unrol it and it doesn't crack ,it is that flexible . This lime comes from Anglia limes in Sudbury, They have replicated the exact lime finish from over a hundred yrs ago but to there astonishment they have found it can be payed onto nearly any surface up to 40 mm in one pass, I find two or three coats better,there is a house we plastered 3 yrs ago onto wooden lathes and I swear you not there isn't a crack on the hole building so much for modern materials.
Hello mate, where are you based in Suffolk?? I’m Bury St Edmunds. (y)

Welcome! People are talking about lime this and that, but never chalked lime! What is so special about it?
The mix is like putty ,crushed chalk is the agrregate instead of sand which, is what you would use on clay lump which are more solid walls, but the amazing thing is the amount of hair absolutely tons of it this is what makes it more flexible than the sand mixes.When you load your hawk you have to basically use a small gardening fork , but as you lay it on the surface you are plastering it smoothes out very quickly then all you have to do is go over it a couple of times to get a smooth finish ready for a few coats of limewash which as we know is actually thin coats of lime.

The mix is like putty ,crushed chalk is the agrregate instead of sand which, is what you would use on clay lump which are more solid walls, but the amazing thing is the amount of hair absolutely tons of it this is what makes it more flexible than the sand mixes.When you load your hawk you have to basically use a small gardening fork , but as you lay it on the surface you are plastering it smoothes out very quickly then all you have to do is go over it a couple of times to get a smooth finish ready for a few coats of limewash which as we know is actually thin coats of lime.
Very nice! Not into lime myself, but who do I contact at anglia lime for more info?

Very nice! Not into lime myself, but who do I contact at anglia lime for more info?
We are long established, based in Essex / Suffolk but supply nationwide. We pioneered a range of traditional but innovative lime-based materials. Including ready-mixed(just add water) insulating basecoats, fine top coats and patching plasters. We also blend St Astier lime and East Anglian sand to produce a range of ready-mixed mortars for laying and repointing We are always happy to chat about your projects- 01787 313974. Either ask for Matthew or Graham. Look forward to hearing from you.