New extension issue

Sealsey

He had some work done about 6 months ago but after new plaster in old part of house.
After getting in all wallpapered we have started to see signs of damp in what was the old external wall.
Got the builders back who removed the skirt and injected with dpc cream about 4 weeks ago, wall at bottom still wells alittle cold but not as bad as it was but still clearing the dark stuff of the bottom of the wall( could it still be drying)
And now these white bits have started to show on the new very expensive wall paper :(
I have already made a mess trying to clear it as seen on the second picture.
Any help so I don’t need to do remove this would be a great help

Attachments

• A1063A7D-BDC7-4353-9E9E-634839C32BB0.jpeg
    A1063A7D-BDC7-4353-9E9E-634839C32BB0.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 270
  • 8A06994B-B66E-45A8-97D1-44DC5BCCFEEF.jpeg
    8A06994B-B66E-45A8-97D1-44DC5BCCFEEF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 263
He had some work done about 6 months ago but after new plaster in old part of house.
After getting in all wallpapered we have started to see signs of damp in what was the old external wall.
Got the builders back who removed the skirt and injected with dpc cream about 4 weeks ago, wall at bottom still wells alittle cold but not as bad as it was but still clearing the dark stuff of the bottom of the wall( could it still be drying)
And now these white bits have started to show on the new very expensive wall paper :(
I have already made a mess trying to clear it as seen on the second picture.
Any help so I don’t need to do remove this would be a great help
@Borat?

That paper is shite anyway
Good job it looks like it might have to come off then,
I wouldn’t of papered if knew was a issue, but we left it a good 3 months from work being done til we did it, if it has to come off it has to come off I just wanted some advise on how to fix it if possible, thanks

Did they plaster your wall with light weight plaster? (Hardwall or bonding), sand cement and waterproof or just scim it over?

It was plasterboard and scim, the bit with the darker patches was the old outside wall,
That bit of the wall was under the old decking so am holing when they been back and removed the skirt and injected it all round it might if sorted it and will dry out?
since then it doesn’t feel as cold to touch but the heating has also been in more

thanks

If there is damp in that wall, you can’t use plasterboard or light weight plaster they will suck the moisture in. See how it goes when whoever is doing whatever has done whatever they are doing but you may have to hack off a yard up the wall and redo with waterproof sand and cement then scim that

Thanks people, going to get the builders back in, I just want it sorted just wish I knew before we decorated but you live and learn
Found some pics of wall after first plaster and second is the wall when we knocked through.

Having the dpc cream done will that take a few weeks to form a barrier?

Attachments

• F913ACB2-4C91-4991-9E63-726CD366309B.jpeg
    F913ACB2-4C91-4991-9E63-726CD366309B.jpeg
    595.1 KB · Views: 250
  • 279DA8A3-B707-4349-B116-E8FB3005E949.png
    279DA8A3-B707-4349-B116-E8FB3005E949.png
    10.8 MB · Views: 240
turn the heat up in the room. hire a dehumidifier to try to dry the room out first.
when we built are bungalow we mopped up water from the window sills for about 18 months till the building dried out.

Even with the dpc injection? Will it not dry out, got a dehumidifier running as well.
It may dry out ,, depending on how wet the original walls were , the photos suggest the were wet , the damp etc suggest that also , you've nothing to lose by doing as malc says

is the dehumidifier collecting much water?
It’s one of those small ones and being emptied about once a day sometimes day and a half we don’t dry clothes in the house and it does feel less cold to touch but that may be mind playing tricks.

Please don’t pin your hopes on the injection cream...
Air movement/ventilation, heating helps (but likely to raise humidity) and hope for the best as it seems the wrong spec for your property.

Even with the dpc injection? Will it not dry out, got a dehumidifier running as well.
No it will not dry out as dot and dab is not compatible with a chemically injected damp course unless used in conjunction with membrane or tanking....

No it will not dry out as dot and dab is not compatible with a chemically injected damp course unless used in conjunction with membrane or tanking....
The two aren’t related, the dpc cream either works or it doesn’t regardless of the finish.

The Cement-based render (with waterproofer?) or membrane is obviously the spec of choice for dampproofers, used to manage any salts... and moisture?

The two aren’t related, the dpc cream either works or it doesn’t regardless of the finish.

The Cement-based render (with waterproofer?) or membrane is obviously the spec of choice for dampproofers, used to manage any salts... and moisture?
Exactly... No matter how good the cream is dot and dab is not compatible because it does not control the salts... So is the wrong way of re-plastering...

Should have asked in the first instant... how old is the original part of the house, I’d assumed pre-1919 without a physical dpc?

1950s original part of the house, had the older sand and cement plaster(if that wrong term sorry)
Had pointing done on back wall about 5 years ago, but not the lower bricks as decking was in the way

1950s original part of the house, had the older sand and cement plaster(if that wrong term sorry)
Had pointing done on back wall about 5 years ago, but not the lower bricks as decking was in the way
The house will already have a physical dpc, so the cream IS NOT needed; I’d be wary if the advice you are getting suggests the contrary.
Physical dpc’s don’t ‘fail’ wholesale, I’ve never heard anything other than anecdotes, or seen any reliable data that proves a physical dpc had failed.

Maybe take a brick out above the dpc to establish if the ‘cavity’ is blocked and laterally wicking moisture....

Cheers, we are leaning towards removing the new plaster and getting it sorted trying to figure best way to minimise damaged, so only the have to remove wallpaper of x y z

thanks people so far