need some advice please

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all new to the forum and all ready need help ;D

So here go's i hav been asked to do some work for a shop fitting company and thay hav ask if i can ( here go's ) skim concrete on to a MDF board 12mm the concrete needs to be 3mm thick this is for a shop display now can this be done?? can you skim concrete on to mdf and if so how as we all know it will not stick so is there a way of doing it any help will be great and no am not mad or durnk or high well to day any way :p :p

No but the guy from the shopfitting company must have been on something when he asked you to do this. :p

Hi Silppy

I hav the speck for the job so its not a wind up will see if i can post it so you can see it for your self am ringing them on monday to go over it with them as i know you cant skim concrete on to mdf but some one thinks its possible .

Hi lads i carnt get speck to up load as to big, i dont think i will be going for it anyway as way over my head thay also want clear resin water droplet effect applied to the concrete when it has dried i wold luv to know how to do it as i hate giving work away ??? ???

what sort of finish do they want mate? i can think of a few ways which you might be able to do it but it all depends on the finish they want as if it is a smooth finish then you only need sand and cement (concrete is just the same but with stones) ;)

like i say if you can tell me what sort of effect they want i am sure there is a way

i know that but if they only want a smooth finish then they wont need the stones, what i am thinking is that maybe the people that want the work done dont know the difference between s&c and conny

do you follow?

kirk johnstone said:
i know that but if they only want a smooth finish then they wont need the stones, what i am thinking is that maybe the people that want the work done dont know the difference between s&c and conny

do you follow?
yes i follow he could always mesh it

that's where i was going but if they want the stones then the mesh wont help much, it might be a case of mesh scratch and roughcast and push flat with a darby or sumthin?

kirk johnstone said:
that's where i was going but if they want the stones then the mesh wont help much, it might be a case of mesh scratch and roughcast and push flat with a darby or sumthin?
could do all that and just hard trowel till it dies to poilish

Hi lads i wish i could get the speck on here so u can see it i will ring them on monday but if thay want it skimmed on and it has to be 3mm then it has to be a smooth finish as concrete is full of pebbels and can not be skimmed was thinking of putting eml on first so there is a key but the mdf has 84 pre cut holes in it that have to stay so thay can fix hooks in so its not that straight forward it is a case of name your own price with this job as thay can not get any one to do it but that may be becouse no one can do it ??? but i will let you know what is said on monday thanks for the help so far :)

Hi kirk

Thats what i mean the speck says 3mm concrete skimmed on so there meaning of concrete can not be the same as yours and mine ??? thats why this is so bloody confusing will hav to ring on monday and see if it can be sorted out there are 6 panels 2400x1200 dont even now how to price for this ???

thats just six 8x4s so i recon you could do it in two easy days whatever it is, i bet they just want a rough stone look in which case i would thistlebond-it the mdf and give it a coat of bonding then paint it gray and charge about £3000 mate :)

keep me posted mate, just send me a pm and i will do my best to help you out ;)

It cant be concrete they are on about, not as we know it anyway standard concrete has agregate up tp 20mm so 3mm would be impossible i expect it could be done though by mixing it with epoxy resin.
lucius

Hi lucius
Thanks mate i will be ringng them on monday to see if i can sort this out as we all know you cant not skim concrete but will keep you all informed thankls for all the help.

hi kirk

will take u up on that offer mate am going to pm you with the speck of that job did get the size wrong of the boards but the rest is right

Tell the f*ckin idiot that spec'd 3mm of concrete I will write him a cheque for 10 grand if he can get it at 3mm.

F*ck me thats the depth of skimming, to get it to 3mm the stones need to be less than 3 mm or as we usually call it.................dust.

Self leveling is an answer.

You can tile floors straight on to Hardboard,tile adhesive is cemteous based so you could usea flexible tile adhesive over the hardboard then skim that with whatever you need ?????????
just an idea if your struglling for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.