Need help..

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpankySouthport

Private Member
Hey gents, looking like I will be working for property buying consortium.. The issue is last time I worked for a property buyer I got stung for £1000 because other than time sheets etc i had no legal comeback..

So what I would like is to draw up some kind of contract that we will both sign, that stipulates that they want me to do said work to complete in said time etc etc

The other thing is how to approach the situation with a light touch that won't offend anyone? I will gladly tell the tale from the last property developer to soften the blow.. Do you men think this is reasonable?

Cheers Ben

Contract is essential but if they dissolve it will not help but without a contact you are searching in the darkness ,

Just explain the situation to them. before you sign any contract get a solicitor to check it over . Business is business so they will understand and if not..... well its your call.

Contract is essential but if they dissolve it will not help but without a contact you are searching in the darkness ,

Fck me John any riddles lol, yeah the last one I worked for dissolved company's for fun, these seem well established and nothing like the last one, but still want to cover myself?

Just invoicing is fine in most cases but a hassle to chase..

Speaking of riddles, what am I?

"Forming spokes on a wheel, our identity is defined. String us together, align us in sequence and form. Where there are shades of grey, we live in black and white. Conforming to your will, leave no stone unturned."

Last edited:
If you answer the riddle correctly, I'll answer your question :)

I'm sorry Minh but the last person I would want to ask about a plastering issue would be a computer programmer...

I will wait for a proper spread to give me an informed answer thanks :RpS_lol:

Spanky simply email them your price for each area of work and ask them to confirm acceptance via email saying that this way you both have a copy of both what they want doing and what they agree to pay for it. We do this with all clients both large and small. No one has ever declined or got upset.

Spanky simply email them your price for each area of work and ask them to confirm acceptance via email saying that this way you both have a copy of both what they want doing and what they agree to pay for it. We do this with all clients both large and small. No one has ever declined or got upset.

Cheers Andy! I already have that via email, but as you say will send another stipulating the amount + works to be carried out asking for a response

but we didnt get to here minge's answer...............:RpS_crying:.............

yipee..............................:RpS_thumbsup:

I email my quotes first and then send a written quote. 2 copies 1 for me 1 for them. I sign both and ask them to send me signed copy back. Not a problem with private customers but when i was a plastering contractor most builders would not sign a contract. It was all verbal and hope for the best. That is one of the reasons I got out of the plastering business.

Architects and surveyors are brilliant at swerving responsibility, need you wits about you these days re liability.do you remember the paid when paid clause in contracts, ie we were the last in line for money..
penalties for late finishing regardless of it been our fault, had contracts given with 2000 pound a week penalty clause, mmmmm no thanks,next mug

Last edited:
I email my quotes first and then send a written quote. 2 copies 1 for me 1 for them. I sign both and ask them to send me signed copy back. Not a problem with private customers but when i was a plastering contractor most builders would not sign a contract. It was all verbal and hope for the best. That is one of the reasons I got out of the plastering business.

Yeah this is the issue bud, at least with these I have plenty of emails etc.

cheers bud

I think there is something in which an un answered email in two weeks is taken to have been accepted, not as simple as I am stating but on those lines.

Fk that mate! I would be inclined to deem an un-answered email as non-acceptance of my terms, but I would state that in my follow-up email anyhow with a footnote explaining that as they are not responding in time I am taking on other works as I am not in a position to wait ad infinitum for their response.

"If you want me, sign me up" :RpS_thumbup:

&i'd get them to open an account for your materials etc so this limits your outgoings (actual loss) and be paid a week in arrears so if they do bounce you you lose just a week of labour. Even with a legal contract if the works are small and they bounce you it could be costly and not worthwhile chasing the money. Hopefully none of this will take place but if you have as much safeguard in place you reduce your losses.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.