need help with coving

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi lads hope u r all well

we hav over boarded a ceiling today about 62m2 and removed the coving but when we where pulling the coving down we noticed that it had been scribed in to the corners and not cut the normal way using a mighter block so what i would like to know if any of u lads scribe the corners if so how do u do it as would like to learn how to do it this way so any help would b great thanks lads

There's loads of info on here for scribing coving, just need to do a search for
it, some pics aswell.

ok many thanks will do a search i allways use the box but if theres a chance of learning another way of doing it then am allways up for learning new things thanks again lads

as said before scribes are a good way to cut corners if they are unsquare. although i have been watching a couple of videos of the magicmitre lately. anyone used it? seems even easier than scribing as its a perfect joint everytime

If you need a quick way go to wicks buy a plastic cove mitre £3.00 great for scribing internals.

Steve, i got one of those magic mitres, you can have a shot next time we are banging some coving up. Easy to use once you get used to remembering which way to put the coving in to it.

that looks excellent will have to purchase one of those i think, i hate doin coveing all the angles just get on my nerves, but this looks like itll make my life easier when i do my next load of coveing

they are good mate they have diff holes on the bed for each size coving aswell beddy the ceiling cut is always flat on the bed so its like your cuttin upside down if you like

im gonna nick johns to have a go with it next time i see him then i might get myself one

The magic Mitre is the biggest piece of crap!!! there is too much play in the thing to get anywhere near of a good cut. The best way to cove is to either scribe the corners or just get 2 short (ie about a foot long each) cut them and them and go round each corner roll them till the joint is perfect and mark with a pencil underneith etc.... best way

Danny

PS steve you can have my MM if you want it

I will find it out for you and post it to you... just cover the postage and I will be happy.... glad to get rid of it :)

tell you what steve, next time you got a load of coving to do, give me a shout and ill come and show you how to do it with nowt but a tape measure and a handsaw, decent mitre box helps but i dont need to scribe owt and i proper rattle it out in no time... externals bang on every time... its a piece of p;ss mate... ask tony, all these new fangled 'labour saving devices' are gonna do is slow you down...

how do you do it then? i'm guessing what danny does, 2 off cuts with a 45, offer them up and mark on the wall when they are perfect?

the best tool to use is a WONDER MITRE they are all you need ,cheap plastic ones are about £3 ok if you only do it now and again, but the best one is the metal one about £8 i think . just google wondermitre. I,m not that hot on coving but this tool is the nuts. I use my mate to do most of mine , it's all he really does he can put up about 90m a day easy and you wouldn't get aa fag paper in the joints..

how do you do it then? i'm guessing what danny does, 2 off cuts with a 45, offer them up and mark on the wall when they are perfect?
nah mate...
cut most of it... straight runs cut the lot....
mix up...
bang 2 bits up...
mark 87mm down the wall or along the ceiling whatever... make the rest come near the lines...
you can twist long lengths...
the trick is to get the little bits up early, like boxing round pipes without the box so to speak, anything external get em up early both sides at a time, make the mitres work, f'ck the wall...
piece of p'ss mate... all I use is a big mitre block with 85mm marked on it with a saw cut...

anything that aint 90 -
87mm mark both walls....
hold a peice of coving up and run an intersecting line both sides...
hold up your peice to cut, mark the intersection of the lines and the corner of the wall... get it square up to cut in the mitre block, and cut it mark to mark outside the block...

before i found a big enough mitre block i used to mark 85mm from the end, and cut from the mark to the end whilst hoilding the cove right way up on a bit of 3x2, long as the top edge is 85mm of the deck its square...

basic geometry really... sounds dead cocky but once its in your head, the same way scribing gets in your head... same difference, less tools.. :RpS_thumbup:

Hi Lads

Just to let you know put the coving up and did scribe it found it hard for the first few but when i got the hang of it found it easy and a lot quicker not so may cuts and filling to do and looks a lot better took us a half a day to do so many thanks for all the help as allways

te only bit im unsure of is "hold a peice of coving up and run an intersecting line both sides...
hold up your peice to cut, mark the intersection of the lines and the corner of the wall... get it square up to cut in the mitre block, and cut it mark to mark outside the block...
"

i know its and easy skill but reading it seems harder than showing it!

you have to sort of click the little drawing but offer a length of coving up to othose lines once youve drawn em on the ceiling and make sure the end runs past the corner...
mark on the ceiling edge of the cove where the lines intersect, or the other one shoots through, and mark on the wall edge where the corner is...
put the cove back in your mitre box with the end sticking out, hold it square up like you were cutting a normal mitre and cut from one mark to the other....
repeat for the other side before you stick this one up, then stick em both up together...

Status
Not open for further replies.