Need advice.

Members online

ToddyTom

Hi guys I’m fairly new to plastering I’ve always worked with other people who have been on sites for 20+ years and know the ins and outs so I’ve never really had to think for myself. I’ve always asked questions but never really get an explanation because they’ve found it easier to just do it if there’s something I’m not sure on. I’ve been involved with rendering and plastering for 4 years now. Anyway I need advice on a couple of things. I’m doing a private job for a family friend and they want render knocked off a couple of walls with the tiles and want it boarded. What board should I use? Normal 12.5mm or insulated? One of the walls that need boarding is on an external wall so do I need to do anything damp proofing wise or will board just be ok? There isn’t any damp but I don’t know if the render has any waterproofer in and obviously I’m taking that off. Like I said I’ve always been told what board to use on what walls on site so I’ve never really learnt it for myself as much as I try.
Should I just put a layer of sand and cement with waterproofer in up to 1.1m just to make sure then Dot & Dab on top or am I overthinking it? Any advice would be really helpful, cheers guys.

Attachments

• B5910B18-DC8E-482C-9C92-0497C730D420.jpeg
    B5910B18-DC8E-482C-9C92-0497C730D420.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 307
  • 5527591F-6EC9-4117-A151-56E19046B42A.jpeg
    5527591F-6EC9-4117-A151-56E19046B42A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 287
  • AE9A9631-172C-46D0-B078-7808554E5DC1.jpeg
    AE9A9631-172C-46D0-B078-7808554E5DC1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 291
  • 6540E36E-E61F-447B-BD4C-B1662D54D9C1.jpeg
    6540E36E-E61F-447B-BD4C-B1662D54D9C1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 303
  • D3AD7761-A761-4804-9DE1-5777947E57CC.jpeg
    D3AD7761-A761-4804-9DE1-5777947E57CC.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 274
Ow?
you fkin hurt yersen?

it's Oh yer silly busturd.

And if the poster wants to private message me I'll explain exactly what he needs to do in his bathroom you aint getting the benefit of my 33 years experience on here yer wankspittling chancer.

Now fk off.
Don’t turn green on us will you now!...... Look mate no hard feelings I’ve got a decent plastering company with about 25 lads on full time, if your ever stuck for a bit of work give me a shout and I’ll chuck you on with labourers board loading.

Ow?
you fkin hurt yersen?

And if the poster wants to private message me I'll explain exactly what he needs to do in his bathroom you aint getting the benefit of my 33 years experience on here yer wankspittling chancer.

Now fk off.
Hi there, ive tried to message you but I get a message pop up saying I don’t have the permission to go onto your account.

Ow?
you fkin hurt yersen?

Now fk off.
Hi there, ive tried to message you but I get a message pop up saying I don’t have the permission to go onto your account.

Don’t turn green on us will you now!...... Look mate no hard feelings I’ve got a decent plastering company with about 25 lads on full time, if your ever stuck for a bit of work give me a shout and I’ll chuck you on with labourers board loading.
About 25 lads?........24 nd a half maybe?

You've got 25 lads working for you and you'd advise moisture board then skimming it? Firstly you haven't asked if any of the walls are being fully tiled, if so you shouldn't skim it, secondly if you are going to skim it why waste money on moisture board?

You've got 25 lads working for you and you'd advise moisture board then skimming it? Firstly you haven't asked if any of the walls are being fully tiled, if so you shouldn't skim it, secondly if you are going to skim it why waste money on moisture board?
Why shouldnt you skim it if its getting.tiled

And personally I can never see any point in using moisture plasterboard unless your tape and jointing. Otherwise you're covering it in a moisture proof covering anyway lol

Skimming it is just a waste of time and money and actually makes it weaker for tiling onto, as you can add less weight to skim than you can board.

Obviously if a customer asks me to skim it I would lol

Your supposed to prime moisture board to skim , I only use PVA but rasp the board as well

Clean board rated at 32 kg/M2 for tiles and Addy
Skim it and it's down to 22
I know . Well didnt know exact numbers just with robbo saying it shouldnt be skimmed . I work for some who always want it skimming . Even customers after telling him its best not to still want it skimmed.
I allway try n talk em out of it purely because it bores me to tears

I know . Well didnt know exact numbers just with robbo saying it shouldnt be skimmed . I work for some who always want it skimming . Even customers after telling him its best not to still want it skimmed.
I allway try n talk em out of it purely because it bores me to tears
I don't always dab the boards , so often skim out level to hide builders sins

so what is the "right" way of dealing with this then? i can see a load of different answers but then people saying its wrong. sorry to be a pain or if im coming across stupid im just asking people who know what theyre doing because i havent had to deal with this on my own before and im not 100% sure. thanks to anyone who has already gave their advise!

so what is the "right" way of dealing with this then? i can see a load of different answers but then people saying its wrong. sorry to be a pain or if im coming across stupid im just asking people who know what theyre doing because i havent had to deal with this on my own before and im not 100% sure. thanks to anyone who has already gave their advise!
If the rooms being tiled floor to ceiling then dot and dab and tile it. If it's being painted dot and dab, skim and paint it.
How have you been plastering 4 years?