Need advice on plastering a damp wall

Members online

jduggy94

Hi guys, so ive recently bought a property, a end of terrace victorian bungalow as a development project. Its sat empty for over a year and has some areas of damp on the walls

Info:
1904 construction
Assumed to have cavities
Front, rear and gable cement rendered
Party wall to other side
timber suspended sub-floor
Chimney breast in offending room
Patches of damp rather than tide like rising damp

So, my opinion is that the main cause of damp on the inside of the external walls of this property is the cement render, its been on approx 20 years and so has suffered from lots of cracking, causing water ingress and with cement being impermeable the water is trapped causing the damp. another factor could be the chimney breast which could mean there are hygroscopic salts in the wall causing some of the patches of damp

My intentions at this point are to remove all of the external render and allow the bricks to dry out, hopefully this alongside some ventilation and getting the house warmed up again will resolve the damp isssues. depending on appearance i could end up re-rendering outside.

But where i am stuck on what to do is on the internal face of these walls. What i do not want to happen is to get the walls to a finished standard ready to sell the property and be hit with damp patches.

Would a salt retardent solution over the current plaster, then a re-skim suffice?

or should i be hacking off all the plaster and re-plastering the lot?

If its the latter then theres the mine-field of what to use? Do i use a sand and cement base or do i use this limelite stuff i see mentioned on here or other?

I have no experience in plastering and very limited knowledge, just 12 hours reading on here, what would you guys say is the best method of plastering these walls to stop any future problems

Fyi i will be hiring a plasterer but rather than trust one persons opinion im far better cunsulting on here and telling him what i want :)

Any additional info needed just ask :)

Cheered

If i was selling it i would hack off, dpc, salt neutralize the masonry, sand and cements render with the dpc companys waterproofer/salt inhibitor, and skim.... i would add vents to help iliminate any condensation.... and then take out an insurance backed gaurantee which cost approximately 7% of the job....

I can get some pics, its in sunderland

Ive debated the chemical DPC but im on the fence as to whether its worth it/even works ha, i am hoping removal on the old render alongside increasing ventaliton and heating will dry it out, of course i could be wrong

Is S&C common practice for a plasterer or will i struggle to find somebody? Also anyone got a vague idea of the price for a 4mx4m room?

Hi guys, so ive recently bought a property, a end of terrace victorian bungalow as a development project. Its sat empty for over a year and has some areas of damp on the walls

Info:
1904 construction
Assumed to have cavities
Front, rear and gable cement rendered
Party wall to other side
timber suspended sub-floor
Chimney breast in offending room
Patches of damp rather than tide like rising damp

So, my opinion is that the main cause of damp on the inside of the external walls of this property is the cement render, its been on approx 20 years and so has suffered from lots of cracking, causing water ingress and with cement being impermeable the water is trapped causing the damp. another factor could be the chimney breast which could mean there are hygroscopic salts in the wall causing some of the patches of damp

My intentions at this point are to remove all of the external render and allow the bricks to dry out, hopefully this alongside some ventilation and getting the house warmed up again will resolve the damp isssues. depending on appearance i could end up re-rendering outside.

But where i am stuck on what to do is on the internal face of these walls. What i do not want to happen is to get the walls to a finished standard ready to sell the property and be hit with damp patches.

Would a salt retardent solution over the current plaster, then a re-skim suffice?

or should i be hacking off all the plaster and re-plastering the lot?

If its the latter then theres the mine-field of what to use? Do i use a sand and cement base or do i use this limelite stuff i see mentioned on here or other?

I have no experience in plastering and very limited knowledge, just 12 hours reading on here, what would you guys say is the best method of plastering these walls to stop any future problems

Fyi i will be hiring a plasterer but rather than trust one persons opinion im far better cunsulting on here and telling him what i want :)

Any additional info needed just ask :)

Cheered

https://bauwer.co.uk/Products.html

I can do you a site visit and provide a detailed assessment and recommendations for further work.
Call out plus 1 hours labour

Start with the easy stuff. Like get the heating on for abit. It's surprised how damp an empty house can feel if it's been standing empty for awhile. My 1st check is nearly always check the cavities are clear and fit additional air bricks if needed. If the render is causing penetrating damp you should have damp patches in different areas rather than seeing a typical damp profile across the wall.. Is the chimney capped and is it vented at the bottom.......I'm not giving you anymore info till your cheque clears for my site visit and 1 hours labour :)

Why dish it out for free guys. If I went to a garage would the mechanic tell me how to fix my car so I could have a bash myself? We've all learnt the hard way no matter if apprentice time served or short course. We've all paid in both time and money to get where we are now, why give that knowledge away for free?

Start with the easy stuff. Like get the heating on for abit. It's surprised how damp an empty house can feel if it's been standing empty for awhile. My 1st check is nearly always check the cavities are clear and fit additional air bricks if needed. If the render is causing penetrating damp you should have damp patches in different areas rather than seeing a typical damp profile across the wall.. Is the chimney capped and is it vented at the bottom.......I'm not giving you anymore info till your cheque clears for my site visit and 1 hours labour :)

haha, thanks for that, what youve said is pretty much what my intentions were yeah, there doesnt seem to be tide like dampness on the wall, it is more patches, but mind you i will need to have a better look in the next couple of days, im offshore at the moment due home tomorow.

The walls have been cavity filled at some point which im not too happy about, but the patches seem to be around the chimney breast and on the corners to either side of the breast, which had me thinking hygroscopic salts.

(The chimney isnt vented at the bottom, thats going to be done, unsure about at the cap also but a roofer is coming next week for roof remedials and chimney stack will be included in these)

But yes my intention is to get the place ventilated, ensure sub floor ventilation, air bricks clear etc, remove the render and get the heating back on inside the house. im swaying toward the option of just hacking off internal plaster anyway, cracking on with rest of renovation to allow walls to dry AMAP and then towards the end use a S&C with waterproofer and salt inhibitor base coat and plaster on top. That way if there is any SMALL areas of damp to come through. It will keep them at bay and provide a dry house to sell on.

Suppose i can make better decisions once i monitor the damp retreating/staying once ventilated and heated etc

Cos it's a forum

in all honesty ....i see why everyone calls plasterers thick.

take your car into a garage and your getting charged for someone to tell you your cars needs fixing when you know it already does ??

thers no diffence here ...except he cant take his house to yours.

spreads like anyone else should charge for their experience ....but on here we just give it away.

i find it comical that spreads disagree with each other more about "whos the best"
or "who knows best"

i bet the bank charges you for sending a letter.

its all about providing a service not just giving it away.

take your car into a garage and your getting charged for someone to tell you your cars needs fixing when you know it already does ??

spreads like anyone else should charge for their experience ....but on here we just give it away.

i find it comical that spreads disagree with each other more about "whos the best"
or "who knows best"

keep mentioning car garages, a mechanic doesnt charge you for telling you your turbos blew up, they charge you for the labour to fix it.

Ive been on countless car forums, been given extremely indepth info which has saved me money and never once been asked for money off anybody, forums are for people to share knowledge with eachother.

If you want to make more money go and print some flyers and deliver them through letterboxes ha

keep mentioning car garages, a mechanic doesnt charge you for telling you your turbos blew up, they charge you for the labour to fix it.

Ive been on countless car forums, been given extremely indepth info which has saved me money and never once been asked for money off anybody, forums are for people to share knowledge with eachother.

If you want to make more money go and print some flyers and deliver them through letterboxes ha

and your gonna drive your broken car out of his garage when hes just told you its fuucked ??

why would i knock on strangers doors begging for work ??

your a tight cuunt
pay a spread to sort your problem.
stop begging on forums.

or "who knows best"

Would be a forum full of questions and no answers if we charge for our knowledge.

In fact f**k it........ Anyone else tag me in a thread for my knowledge can PayPal me some coin

and your gonna drive your broken car out of his garage when hes just told you its fuucked ??

why would i knock on strangers doors begging for work ??

your a tight cuunt
pay a spread to sort your problem.
stop begging on forums.

youve got the whole forum idea all wrong, the whole purpose of a forum is for people to share knowledge with eachother, its give and take the person asking a question one day may be answering one the next

Also i said post flyers not knock on doors, and just to let ya know, im not tight, ill 100% be paying a plastered to plaster every room in the house, that plasterer just wont be you or the other muppet trying to make money from a forum, ironically you are infact the begger hahaha

youve got the whole forum idea all wrong, the whole purpose of a forum is for people to share knowledge with eachother, its give and take the person asking a question one day may be answering one the next

Also i said post flyers not knock on doors, and just to let ya know, im not tight, ill 100% be paying a plastered to plaster every room in the house, that plasterer just wont be you or the other muppet trying to make money from a forum, ironically you are infact the begger hahaha

im not having a pop at you dug ....what do you do for a living ??

im not having a pop at you dug ....what do you do for a living ??

my guess is your boyfriend asked you to ask because hes in bed with your brother.

i dont want your hahahahahahaha job.
neither does "the other fella"...because were busy in bed with your dad.

sorry i cant give any more advice.
good luck with your project.

Iv just bought a new house and I had to pay some numpty £220 to carry out a survey to confirm it's worth what I'm paying. Why didn't the bank just go onto a forum and post some pics of the house and ask for some free advice.
Business is business.
The forum wouldn't be full of questions with no answers, I don't see anything wrong with helping folk out with the basics of plastering basically what it says on the back of a bag of multi but giving out specific advice and diagnosing exact faults is very similar to carrying out a site survey, without the option of submitting a quotation for the works

What's a plastered? A drunk plasterer? Just to let ya know

Iv just bought a new house and I had to pay some numpty £220 to carry out a survey to confirm it's worth what I'm paying. Why didn't the bank just go onto a forum and post some pics of the house and ask for some free advice.
Business is business.
The forum wouldn't be full of questions with no answers, I don't see anything wrong with helping folk out with the basics of plastering basically what it says on the back of a bag of multi but giving out specific advice and diagnosing exact faults is very similar to carrying out a site survey, without the option of submitting a quotation for the works

i paid £650 in lytham for the same bullshit survey......

i wasnt getting it for free

Business is business.

This fella still trying to prove his point? try another thread mate ha

If ya so hell bent on making money from giving people advice go back to uni and become a chartered surveyor then mate, otherwise do one so somebody can tell me what base coat to use hahaha

how can you keep laughing at your own shiit jokes ??

im gonna "do one".

all the best dug.

Business is business.
This place owes me a fortune :(

Let face it guys you can give all the advice you want but we have all gave someone a go with a trowel and board if he's never done it before it will be all over his feet!but at least arm him with the advice he needs to make an informed decision so he can take his project faward......