nearly qualified...

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mrspoon

evening all, might be a long shot but thought id let you know im coming to the end of my college course and im looking for more experience. and would like to move on to get my NVQ 2, i'll be able to use evidence from my current year at college so should be a nice smooth transaction following site visits and references etc 8)

my college experience at the moment consists of...

year 1 ( F.C.A )

learn to float and set, board + skim window walls + doors + ceilings, screed floors, external rendering, render columns and pillars with perfect margins + floated to hard angles etc

materials used..

bonding
hardwall
browning
multi
board
dura
s + c

yadda yadda

year 2 ( I.C.A )

same as year 2 along with running moulds, flood moulds and made our own vinyl moulds d+d and coving.

im looking to get more onsite experience, dommestic or site so if anyones willing then im willing also Cool own van and own tools also and i make a crackin cuppa!

learn to float and set, board + skim window walls + doors + ceilings, screed floors, external rendering, render columns and pillars with perfect margins + floated to hard angles etc

materials used..

bonding
hardwall
browning
multi
board
dura
s + c

yadda yadda

year 2 ( I.C.A )

same as year 2 along with running moulds, flood moulds and made our own vinyl moulds d+d and coving.

im looking to get more onsite experience, dommestic or site so if anyones willing then im willing also 8) own van and own tools also and i make a crackin cuppa!

personel experience out of work..

done a fair few jobs, boarding and skimming ceilings, D+D whole rooms and skim. done to do a couple of small render jobs, various overskim jobs and patch repairs tho on the tools all the time at college really over the 2 years
and i dont mind traveling for work! based in derby.

i haven't really no :eek: i'll get some sorted on these next few jobs :)

ill have a dig about on my old phones for pics tho the quality of the pic will be pants most likely

might not matter mate.. plasterers know what theyre lookin for.. generally tidiness..

all good then, i think i leave the place more tidy than when i first go in! only downside is most of my jobs have been for family and its not like they actually give 2 hoots about the finish as they just want it dont cheap, so i spend ages making sure everything is spot on, for them to slap on some cheap paint and leave blobs everywhere.

i have pics somewhere of a small utility/extension i did before christmas but the floor was uneven as the "builder" just plonked some beams down onto the patio and built up from there so fearing the whole room would just slowly sag i decided to use some paintable flexible caulk on all the internals after skimming in the hope cracks wouldn't appear, no cracks have appeared but the old paint he used hasnt covered the caulk hence i dont show anyone those pictures either.

but i'll dig them all out and put them up anyway, im happy to do a free days work on a trial basis anyway to prove im capeable 8)

mr spoon, fair play, sounds like you got your act together, being nosey how old are you ?

hopefully someone will give you a chance, hard to to find young blokes that are keen to learn !

cheers, mate, i do try but very hard in this current climate. ive even thought these prjects in uganda where various people raise money to build schools and stuff over there, could take a year out and move over there and work for free, plenty of experience then but... could possibly be working with a bunch of D.I.Yers boarding and skimming a few walls and not actually learning anything to benefit back over here, and they dont have I****n takeaways over there ::) ;)

thats just it, gotta admire the blokes attitude...
spoony i dunno why you aint had a look at rays stone effect thing, me and warrior are goin down next month... this is whats gonna get me out the recession..

hand on heart, i can honestly say that out of the 22 odd thats on my course, theres 6 people that are making the effort to learn and succeed, the rest can do the work no problems, as our lecturers push us to do it properly and leave it looking good etc but... they still have no idea what ratios to be using, still have to ask exactly what to do before doing it etc, should be drilled into everyones mind and i can honestly say i enjoy staying around after the other no hopers have left college early to go smoke some weed and see their pikee girlfriends at the school gates so we can have a laugh and a joke about how pathetic they really are and actually get some decent constructive advice without them interupting.

its actually that bad.. that everyone in our group has actually made complaints about 2 people in the group (both best friends, have been for life) and we've had to go and sit in our own vehicles to revise for tests cos the voices of these numptys just overpower everyone and everything! you cant concentrate, good thing is i pass everything with flying colours, down side is it shouldn't be this way, other people have mentioned they have to let a few unacheiving people in for whatever reason but this it taking the mick, just prevents people who actually want to learn, from learning! come to think of it i got all the questions right from the health and safety mock tests and some of the other numptys got very insulted and insisted i was a smartarse... yet its all common sense anway!
ah well rant over :D

bigsegs said:
spoony i dunno why you aint had a look at rays stone effect thing, me and warrior are goin down next month... this is whats gonna get me out the recession..

ive had a look, just the ammount of wongdongas its gonna set me back.. how much is it?

I wish i went college and did it your way my way all be it acceptable still have silly moments....When I went to college I studied Law Business and Communication...... but didnt want to togo to uni though....lol

Good luck Mate

Danny

mrspoon said:
bigsegs said:

ive had a look, just the ammount of wongdongas its gonna set me back.. how much is it?
200 quid mate, but when ive done my course ill have the cert, the work (got one job lined up already that has the potential to turn into many) and the need to get some help on the bigger jobs so if you can get to peterborough....

nearly qualified...

nearly qualified...

nearly qualified...

nearly qualified...

nearly qualified...

first pic is my first job i ever did god knows how long ago, cant even make it out that well other than itsd a window wall (the joys of phone photography!)

the other 4 show a long wall i helped someone else do, as supposed to be some monsterious 24ft long wall from hell, turned out to be about 18ft and was the easier day of my life as he only required me to skim one side, tho if you look carefully you'll see about 2 inches of crap splodged all up the next wall (his side of the wall i might add!) rough as funk so he is and he doesnt even remove plug sockets, just skims up to them and when showing me the halls stairs and landing (at this same property) he even pointed out a few hollows and marks here n there not that i needed any notification as they were quite obvious regardless of the lack of daylight but he actually thoughtthat was normal and nothings perfect ::) but other than these i dont have that much to showcase, i have some before and after pictures floating about on an old phone but that goes from empty small extension to painted and furnished so not really going to showcase that much, best thing i can suggest is give me a trial 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.