my render mix.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

solway

There a lot of render questions the last few weeks so here's a mix thats been around for 20 years and never failed. My old man plastered our home house 20 years ago and back then I'm pretty sure there was no such thing as waterproofer. The render is still in immaculate condition. It's napped finished. He scudded 2 sand to 1 cement,walls dampened before scudding. Scratched at 4sand 1cement with 4 caps of plasticiser per mix. 1 barrow belle mixer(cap size is cap that comes with 1gl drum of plasticiser). Walls hosed down before scratching. Finish coat 5sand 1cement 1/2 lime and 2 caps plasticiser. Walls hosed down prior to laying on. This method has been passed onto me and iv never had any problems. Cold weather/hot weather. We have very often scratched today and topcoated tomorrow with no issues. We have never used waterproofer and don't think we will as our method works for us. This mix is for standard concrete/building blocks. Plasticiser we use today is whatever the builder brings on site. Usually evo-stik/larsen/everbuild. Each to our own I suppose

Waterproofer was around then multi finish is nearly 20 years old time flies when your on the trowel!

I was using water proofer in the early 80's and can remember being told about multi about 82/3 ish by lecturers at college who were dissmisive of it at the time without even having used it :RpS_lol:

I was using water proofer in the early 80's and can remember being told about multi about 82/3 ish by lecturers at college who were dissmisive of it at the time without even having used it :RpS_lol:

As you say waterproofer had been in use for some time by the 80's.
I started in 81, that's 1981 before anyone asks and Sirapite was still in use, after that came Sirapite B, the first finish to have a plastic lining in some of the bags. Multifinish was some time later, I'm sure it was about 88/89.

As you say waterproofer had been in use for some time by the 80's.
I started in 81, that's 1981 before anyone asks and Sirapite was still in use, after that came Sirapite B, the first finish to have a plastic lining in some of the bags. Multifinish was some time later, I'm sure it was about 88/89.
Did you mix siraphite and board fifty fifty in the old days, we used to, that was our multi finish..

Sirapite B was the nuts, when it was stiffening up on the board u could re mix it and use to lay in. And get away an hour earlier :RpS_biggrin:

Did you mix siraphite and board fifty fifty in the old days, we used to, that was our multi finish..

reveals, neat sirapite. drop rules, a small coal shovel of board finish, the same amount of lime, to a bucket of sirapite.

reveals, neat sirapite. drop rules, a small coal shovel of board finish, the same amount of lime, to a bucket of sirapite.

I only ever saw heads done with neat Sirapite never the side reveals. My old man always used to float his heads in though.
The first site I worked on still used rules and every spread owned a small coal shovel.

I only ever saw heads done with neat Sirapite never the side reveals. My old man always used to float his heads in though.
The first site I worked on still used rules and every spread owned a small coal shovel.

lol

his grandad met a plasterer :RpS_thumbsup:

Don't get the point of this thread apart from everything was better in the good old days??? So what??? :RpS_confused:

water proofer was in use in the early 60s, in powder form called pudlow.

I remember old paddy spreads talking about pudlow when I was a nipper, it was an irish product maybe ?

the labourer would throw the powder into the mixer, the wind would blow and most of it down the street !
i dont know where it was manufactured but it was the only water roofer that i can remember from that time.

the labourer would throw the powder into the mixer, the wind would blow and most of it down the street !
i dont know where it was manufactured but it was the only water roofer that i can remember from that time.

Prolappin is a water proffer I remember in the 60s.

water proofer was in use in the early 60s, in powder form called pudlow.

From time to time i come across old sand and cement in farm houses that i suspect were mixed with pudlow and it is always a right pain to get off cos it is like bell metal ! I think you can still get pudlow but not sure though

Status
Not open for further replies.