My new skimming Trowel

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

I pulled out my marshalltown 16incher that I used for rendering and decided to give a wirl on the old pink stuff and christ I am addicted to it the finish is the dogs danglies.

I thought a first tooooo big but you can really load it up and well I am well chuffed. nice to have a 2nd skimming trowel that actually works!

Danny

I lay my skimming up with a 2.4m length of 4x1 so quick and easy and i can lay up a whole housing estate in one set :)

what about 4" chamfered skirting with a pencil round top? gotta great edge to it :D

ill be pastures new soon so might have to turn up with me miget trowel......right where do i start lads ;D

i use it for rendering, goes great in the alcoves side of the chimney breast etc..
i use the feather edge too, but for just throwing the stuff round the wall if its miles out i find the darby a bit easier..

i use it flat for k-rend .....i always get stuck when i get to soffits though ;D

lol when i k rend i rule of flat then after a few hours i go back over it with a spray bottle and a large spat and close it right over

Rich

1800mm serated edge there suposed to be for scraping back i think but i found they show any hollows up really well then i close it in with a 22" spat

in the states they have a tool called a slicker in wood for base coats or cheaper than the magnesium ones, come in different sizes.they render with them a good slicker man can put a lot of mud on the wall in one go about 3 hawk fulls a time plus its flat ive seen good men use them for skimming. a slicker is basically a long blade you can apply mud with no hawk a trowel man follows filling in theyre great

the serrated edges can be use for base coats and for ruling topcoat and you dont need to close in with a spat just leave the lines in and when ready scrape with an i section and dont put water on it as it can affect colour

richardbrown said:
Some say water some say dont i never know who's right

Rich

Richard some are on here to give advice , and some are just fishing for bites mate

rockhardsolidplastering said:
in the states they have a tool called a slicker in wood for base coats or cheaper than the magnesium ones, come in different sizes.they render with them a good slicker man can put a lot of mud on the wall in one go about 3 hawk fulls a time plus its flat ive seen good men use them for skimming. a slicker is basically a long blade you can apply mud with no hawk a trowel man follows filling in theyre great
they do things arse about face in the good ol usa, in bricklaying they have blokes to build corners and others to run the line, only half a tradesman imo

fair comment rockhardsolid. i withdraw my remark and apologise unreservedly! (didn't get home till 8 this morning, had spent the night on the lash and talking shite with me mates, continued to do the same on here!)

can you imagine it working over here though?
you'd have : a bloke to get the gear off the van, another to scrim up, another to pva, another to mix, another to get the stuff out the bucket, one to spread, one to flatten, one to trowel up, one to make the tea and one to scrape the floor afterwards..
feck me, you'd need a minibus!

hang on no more men are needed a 2+1 gangthe same as here 1 labourer 2 spreads 1 on the slicker 1 on the trowel both finish it hows that taking more men sometimes you have to open your mind because you might find better ways to finish might not tho but dont dismiss

yeh we get the point ;D
if you got one bloke doing the same thing day after day after day it stands to reason he's gonna get so he can do it in his sleep..
besides.. there was an american bloke on here a while back never even heard of 'finish plaster', someone asked him to do some and he didnt have a clue what it was or where to get it... they just didnt have it down the merchants..
an apparently he was an experienced 'plasterer'? but just the old tape and join and 'stucco'..
different country, different trade altogether really..
i left school and went to work for BAe, as a fitter. We were supposedly trained for the 'whole disipline' i.e. everything from butt strap assembly manufacture to wirelocking explosive ejector seat bolts..
Mcdonnell douglas in the states however trained a bloke to put wheels on, another to pump em up.. and so on..
feck knows which is the best method but im pretty sure i'd rather be trained in britain than in america.. i'd be bored shitless..

Pug said:
my mind ain't so open that anything can crawl right in
while i type this im eating a cheese and jam sandwich...........naked

Status
Not open for further replies.