My final review on the s*p*r*lex

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cranny77

I understand everyone has a different opinion. But here's mine. For 6 months I've been using the 14" super flex while it leaves a lovely finish il only be using it to dry trowel with. My work is 95% domestic and I've been back to a few jobs to do more work. It all looks fine until the sun hits walls at different times of the day.
It glides over ridges a ridged trowel would iron out. I've only had one small complaint and had to sand a ridge out. It looks ok to the eye before it's painted too.
A bit like if a plasterer doesn't flatten in between coats.
Sorry for boring the crap out if everyone on a Sunday

Never had ridges in my work or it look like the sea in different light ... after flattening your 2nd coat with a s/s trowel you should be using the s*p*r*lex ....getting on it abit earlier
This was done with a s*p*r*lex . old scabby wall... and it was painted in silk :RpS_thumbup:

Photo0321.jpg

If it goes on bumpy you're making hard work for yourself. I was always told, accompanied by the occasional beating, "First coat flat, second coat flatter" ANY flexible trowel will glide over bumps, and carbon steel trowels are the best for flattening walls in my opinion:RpS_thumbup:

It's not always possible to get the spats out on domestic jobs like hall stairs and landings with all the archs on. Just my review. Perfect job on board work every time I'd use it. It's just my opinion if it's a job where you've got to chase the hit a bit. Like I said it smooths out the seems but there still there underneath.
It's one of the first nelas. It's not a pop at anyone just my thoughts and I'm not alone with them.

Like others have said, depending on the size of the areas i either give it two with the speedskim then one with the nela or 1st trowel with mt extra lite then nela, i keep my layin in neat as poss tho + dont have any problems with ridges or bumps when using the nela cos its always flat by time i use it.

hi, im a 48 year old plasterer, old skool float n set. i was introduced to these s*p*r*lex trowels not long ago. i normally use my marshall towns ss for everything. laying on, up to the final trowel, a mate gave me a s*p*r*lex a couple of weeks ago and i used it to do a ceiling. laid everything on with my marshall town and troweled up with the s*p*r*lex. 2 days later the customer called me back to look at the ceiling when it was painted. it looked terrible, bumpy a rough. i had to do it again (highly embarressed ) ive never had a complaint in my years till then. ?????????????

I think you have to get the hang of it in your own way they are good but take a bit of getting used to:RpS_thumbup:

Hello new to group, just wanna say that I used one the other day thought it was terrible, can't get enough pressure on it, plus I get a perfect job with my old Marshall town so why bother paying all that money out for a last dry trowel?

Hello new to group, just wanna say that I used one the other day thought it was terrible, can't get enough pressure on it, plus I get a perfect job with my old Marshall town so why bother paying all that money out for a last dry trowel?

Welcome along :)

I found you dont need much pressure :)

Stick with it and see how you get on :)

I think all the negatives..ie. bumps/ridges, are down to people hearing that a s*p*r*lex takes 1/2 hour off a gauge.. it looks fine as it glides over the work.. been saying for long enough now that no trowel can take any time off a plaster setting time, and by thinking its done 1/2 hour before normal, gives these bumps/ridges.. just finish it the same timescale as you would normally and its no problems with ridges. and the s*p*r*lex is easier on the arms...

I think all the negatives..ie. bumps/ridges, are down to people hearing that a s*p*r*lex takes 1/2 hour off a gauge.. it looks fine as it glides over the work.. been saying for long enough now that no trowel can take any time off a plaster setting time, and by thinking its done 1/2 hour before normal, gives these bumps/ridges.. just finish it the same timescale as you would normally and its no problems with ridges. and the s*p*r*lex is easier on the arms...

I don't do anything different with it regarding timings. It's a lovely trowel I just can't use it for 2nd and final trowel on every gauge I do. If it's board work or the job is ok for spats it's great. But most of the time it only gets used for a dry trowel as it leaves a nice finish with the metal being so thin.

you need to persevere more masterplaster1984,the super flex is a great product that will make troweling up a doddle,i enjoy using it and I think it is less stressful on your body than a marshalltown or something similar.:RpS_thumbup:

I will upset a few with this , its the person using the trowel not the trowel at fault ,you walk away from a job as done it gets painted and looks crap , come on it must be crap as you left it, the flexi trowel itself tells you it needs hitting softer or you will bend them in half, you can plaster using any trowel you come across but you cant blame trowel for the finish its the person using it . it is not setting gear any quicker it flattens it ,if its not perfect at three trowels.....give it four!! and that my friends is not the trowels fault

Status
Not open for further replies.