Multi-finish "tearing" when flattening immediately after second coat

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewp

Hi,

First post. DIY plasterer, not trade. Have skimmed 20 odd walls over a couple of years as and when needed and done a few backing coats. Have what I think is a half decent finish nowadays, especially with sandpaper and easifill and not tackling large walls!

Anyway, was skimming a wall yesterday and on the second coat, when flattening it after laying it on, it was kind of tearing off, dragging and ripping (not all the wall through to the wall) making pot holes. I've never had this done before.

The wall wasn't drying out, but it felt like it was dry. I got over it by leaving it a while and then using water as lubrication but it wasn't the best. It meant I couldn't flatten it as usual before wet troweling.

Any suggestions what I did wrong, or what this was?

Thanks.

There is loads of posts about this sort of thing happening. Do a quick search of the forum.

Welcome to the mad house.

Thanks.

I've been reading through the posts, but couldn't find anything specific to this. Found a lot of "jolly banter" though... cream of tartar etc:RpS_laugh:

theres lots of debate on here about why this may be happening ...do a search ..

welcome to the forum andrew

Should I throw the bag away (just opened it at the weekend), or is the liklihood that they are all like this?

There's no guarantee that the new bag is going to be any better I guess.

What's the way around it (if there is one)?

Many thanks.

When troweling muliti dont put any water on it just wipe your trowel with a brush .Just make sure you put it on very tidy ,. two coats and don't keep playing with it . This is working fine for me at the mo and is giving a good finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.